signs of cat in heat

rirunyan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got three kittens from a rescue home two months ago. They claimed all three were 12 weeks old, making them all now 5 months. Friday is our scheduled appt for spaying and neutering (yes, 2 are males, 1 female). The female has been meowing excessively the last day. Hubby has noticed that the once, one of the boys did a mounting type move. She is laying on the bed rubbing on her side, and also was just now sitting with a rump in the air type position. Please tell me she is not going into heat. Helppppp

milopixie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she could be and 5 months seems like the right age. They can still spay her when she is in heat, though it may be a little more expensive. Try to keep the female separated from the males until you get them to their appointment. Hopefully she'll be out of it by then. Good luck!

julianne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yup, sounds like she's in heat. Keep her seperate from the boys and count the hours until friday

When my foster cat Foxy was still living with her 'real' mother (my former next door neighbour), she went into heat, and her meouwing drove me crazy. Even when I had her shut up in the spare bedroom, she wouldn't stop. I felt so sorry for her.
Be strong and Good Luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rirunyan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. The vet can't get them in until Friday, so she is locked up in the mater bathroom. This way there is a bedroom between her and the boys. The boys seem ok being separated. They are busy playing with their toy mice. I feel so sorry for her though. I will go in and spend time in the bedroom knitting and reading later, so she is not alone. She is the lucky one tonight, she gets the bedroom and to sleep with us.

Is it ok for her to sleep with us when she is in heat, or will she bleed or something?

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think she'll bleed. Way back years ago when Jessie wasn't fixed --- she'd spot a little bit when she was in heat. Before Dusty was fixed, she didn't bleed but she would get REALLY VOCAL... walking around and putting her butt in the boycats faces, rubbing on stuff (she was sort of trashy I guess!) and just generally getting in the "mount me" position.

Just keep the girls away from those boys for a little longer! Or else nature will take it's course!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she's in heat to me.

No they don't bleed like dogs do.

I understand you feel bad about keeping her in the bathroom but really it's for the best and only a few more days to go.

kathy14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by milopixie

It sounds like she could be and 5 months seems like the right age. They can still spay her when she is in heat, though it may be a little more expensive. Try to keep the female separated from the males until you get them to their appointment. Hopefully she'll be out of it by then. Good luck!
They can still spay a cat that's in heat?! Tigger went into heat as soon as we got her and we were told by two vets that they could not do the spay while she was in heat. I wonder why we were told that if it can actually be done? That was such an awful time for us and Tigger !

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago, cats couldnt be spayed while they were in heat as the blood vessels are engorged, but most vets will do it now, but they will charge more as it is a harder op to do due to the larger amount of blood. It is always worth asking your vet if they do spay in season, just in case she still is in season come Friday.

sassy's keeper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, newbie to the board here. What a cool forum...and very informative too.

I am sooooo relieved to find out that kitties don't bleed!! I never knew that.

I am the human-slave of a 6 month old Siamese cross named Sassy....and she is very aptly named.

I do have a question....how long does "heat" or "season" last????

sassy's keeper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like I'm going to have to re-size that pic!! LOL.

That is Sassy at 3 months old....now she is getting dark patches of fur on her belly and back. Guess that is whatever she is crossed with coming out???? She's going to look original...that's for sure.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've heard that cats do bleed, but they lick it up so it's not as noticable as with a dog

I remember when Buffy and Willow were in heat. Willow was "tame", she was quiet, not annoying at all, she just walked around with her butt in the air and rolled around a lot. So we figured it would be the same with Buffy. No way! She screamed and hollered and shoved her butt at anyone who would look at her. We had to go through 3 of them (I think she had one right after another) so a month or so after her first heat we finally had her spayed (we couldn't get the money before then). Never again will I look forward to the fun antics of a cat in heat, much less now than before since I now know the problems with letting cats go into heat.