Significant other age gap?

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

......................My best relationship was with a girlfriend that was 12 years older than me. I was 28 and she was 40 when we met. I wasn't looking for somebody older and she wasn't looking for someone younger. We didn't end up apart because of age either.
REALLY.

..and I find this out the very day it looks like Eric forgot my BD!

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

REALLY.

..and I find this out the very day it looks like Eric forgot my BD!
Awww no way... From what I know of Eric, I didn't think he'd forget. It must be his long shift work hours. If he did forget, I bet he'll spoil you double to make up for it.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH is about 1 1/2 yrs older than I am. Most of this brothers and sisters also married their SO's in a similar age range. My sis was briefly married (3 yrs) to someone younger I can't remember exactly but it was like 7 yrs. Too many other things other than ago doomed their marriage. In college I dated a man who I thought was a few yrs older turned out to be almost 20 yrs older!!!
I think any older man or woman shouldn't date a person in their late teens.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me and Trav are only a year apart.

My parents are 10 years apart and started dating when mom was 15, had a baby at 17 and then at 28 adn have been happily married for almost 32 years

BUT I know that if I was 15 and dated a 25 year old THESE days would NOT be okay, even for my parents. They wouldn't let me date anyone WAY older when I was under 18.

joecool

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
someplace so boring i am slowly but surely losing
I resent all these remarks that men are less mature as a whole(
), but i think if all parties involved don't care, then what harm could it do? My parents are about the same age, but one of my best friends has parents more than twelve years apart, and happily married.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as both parties are ADULTS I don`t see anything amiss with the age differences.
My sister is over 20 years younger than her hubby.
My sister-in-law is 12 years older than hers.
My hubby`s aunt (75) just got married...and her groom is 90 years old, so that`s 15 years difference.
My niece ,who is 23, is dating a really nice guy who is 47 and they are talking about getting married soon.
ALL of these relationship seem to be going good...and the first 2 have been married for over 20 years each.
Linda

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I agree it has a lot to do with your actual age and mental age
There is a 30 year age difference between my friend and her second husband. They get along much better than she did with her first husband where there was a smaller age difference. I can't really comment personally as there is only one day separating me and my husband.

mferr84

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a good question. It was interesting to read everyone's views on this. I am 21. I dont know what it is. Every since I started going through my divorce, I have been all about older guys. I have found that every guy near my age is...well, to avoid being mean, I am just finding them all more irritating than not. I usually go for 25+. They are usually more mature and assuming they have no previous marriages or children, they come with less drama. Guys get on my nerves really easy. Especially when they are abnoxious and act like children(which I know most men have a tendency to do anyway
)
I have to agree with everyone else. As long as both people are 18+, I dont think any size age gap matters. If it works for them, cool!

eva-loves-cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have really strong opinions on this matter...so I wont do a long reply on this.

I don't always think age matters, if you love each other than that should be all that matters. But I also agree that it depends on the person and that everyone is different and should be treated that way.

For example, you might have a 16 year old who is very mature for her age. And just because she is 16 doesn't mean she shouldn't be allowed to be with someone who is 30. I really do think it depends on the person as some people can be more mature than others...if that makes any sense!

All I will say is that me and my fiance have a big age gap...19 years! And I am a lot younger than him but I don't care...I love him so much and he is the best thing to ever happen to me. And he loves me too....and that is the main thing. We are both very happy together and I know our love will last a life time. I will never regret being with him...it was the best descisson of my life.

IMO you can't just judge people by there age...it depends on the person too....everyone is different!

I would say do what you are happy with, do what you want too and don't let anyone make this decisson for you. At the end of the day you do what you want to do...its your life and no one else can live it for you!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Hubby is 17 years older than me. It hasn't been a major factor in our almost 19 year marriage until lately. His hearing is going and there is a lot of yelling in the house now that I don't like. He won't wear a hearing aid
Bless your heart Hissy! I FEEL for you on this one!
Larry did`nt think he had a hearing problem either ...for years! When he finally agreed to go and be checked he was having severe problems with his right ear and is almost completely deaf in his left ear.(No doubt it got much worse over the years as the TV and radio kept geting louder...and LOUDER!)
He has Miracle Ears now....and let me tell you...he hates to be without them.
Once they finally go for testing they will "hear what they are missing now" and then they will want to wear them!
Appeal to him on the grounds that having to have raised voices is hurting YOUR hearing....cause it`s true! Maybe he`ll do it for you even if he won`t for himself.
Linda

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me and hubby are 9 years apart. Never been a problem with us. We've been together 8 years. Since I was 19. My brother now, has a girlfriend who is 56 (older than my father) he is only 32, but I will say,even though he is trying to replace our mother who passed away with this girlfriend, she is the best thime to happen to him. She is the most considerate, nicest, wonderful person you could ever meet. I still think he is a bit wierd though as my dad hits on her at family functions!!
Then again dad hits on everyone!

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

Me and hubby are 9 years apart. Never been a problem with us. We've been together 8 years. Since I was 19. My brother now, has a girlfriend who is 56 (older than my father) he is only 32, but I will say,even though he is trying to replace our mother who passed away with this girlfriend, she is the best thime to happen to him. She is the most considerate, nicest, wonderful person you could ever meet. I still think he is a bit wierd though as my dad hits on her at family functions!!
Then again dad hits on everyone!

Yeah! When Eric is 32 I will be 49 - not too far behind!
I only hope that his four sisters are as kindhearted as you are, but I do think they all are!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am 13 1/2 years older than my husband. I had my 40th birthday just before we married and he didn't turn 27 until we'd been married a couple of months. It has worked out well for the 10 years we have been married, I can't imagine life without him and it is no exaggeration to say we feel like two souls that are now knit into one fabric.

My only concern is that I wish to be in good health and intellectually "with it" until the day I die and hope that won't be for at least another 35-40 years (I am now 50). I do wish he could retire sooner rather than later, so we could enjoy his retirement before I'm in my late 70's!