Sign petition to stop NJ cat hunt please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MA, I didn't start the petition, just found it while researching the issue.

In fact, we have a very detailed and really well researched response written (of course, like my posts, it's way too long LOL). Should be in the mail tomorrow. When we're sure it's been delivered, it'll go up on the StrayPetAdvocacy website - I'll post a link here.

There are far too many legal problems for cat hunting to become legal - they won't be able to reclassify cats, but all the letters, calls, e-mails and petitions help speak to the need for the Dept of Environmental Protection to work with the Dept of Health and Seniors (which oversees animal control), and will go a loooooong way to helping prevent a ban of TNR in the state.

Again - thank you to everyone who has signed the petition or contacted the State in some way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I signed and sent it to the people involved in TNR here in South Jersey.

I did kind of go on a rant... but couldnt help myself.

And I thought "The Jersey Shore" was a major embarrassment -nothing compares to this.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think this ever could happen, there would be a huge protest by most citizens in New Jersey (I trust !!!
). They probably just aren't aware of any such idea yet. Plus it would be a massive drain on local police forces spending all their time on animal welfare cases because peoples' pets would be getting shot instead of actual crimes, like, say....homicides, drugs, rapes, domestic violence, gang activity, little stuff like that...

I even looked up the Fish and Game Council meetings of NJ for a closer look at the sponsors of this ridiculous idea. According to the minutes, it is all about the number of animals that can be killed (deer, what not) and who gets the lottery for permits...now they want to add cats to those numbers. These people are so desensitized to the suffering of other creatures it is appalling.

It is said humans are the superior species because they can tell what's right from wrong. But their intent to choose to do the wrong thing makes them inferior to all those who do not.

So maybe animals are higher than us after all.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To read about this particular issue, you have to go all the way back to 2007, the minutes of May... discussion on free-ranging cats started earlier. You can see who pushed through the Resolution here: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2...gc05-08-07.pdf

And read about him here:
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/artic...-shooting-cats

And note he's been appointed to the ad hoc working committee of the NJ Endangered Species and Non-game Committee to REVIEW their position on TNR and feral cats, here: http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf...ac11-30-09.pdf

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's OK.
The reclassification of cats is now not an issue of allowing ferals to be hunted. It's a political tug-of-war between the Dept. of Health (which is responsible for animal control) and some propoganda-minded individuals in the Fish & Game Council (part of the Dept of Fish & Wildlife) over the future of TNR programs in the State. They're currently allowed, and many townships have them. The Fish & Game Council wants that to stop, but they have little support.