Sigh, Bella Is Not Eating/drinking/using Her Litter Box And Has A Uri.

encino34

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both my cats have a URI but my oldest one (11) is not drinking anything or eating anything. Even tuna which she normally goes ballistic over. Twice per day im forcing 2 syringes of water and her meds into her mouth. I don't know what else to do.

The younger one just has the sniffles now and is eating/drinking/pooping/peeing but will continue the meds till the bottle is empty. Her left eye is a bit puffy too which i think is a part of the uri.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A cat won't eat or drink anything that it can't smell. She probably isn't eating anything because she can't smell anything. You probably need to syringe feed her. It is time consuming but she needs food to avoid a serious liver issue that can come from not eating. Just go slow and use the side of her mouth, give her a little bit let her swallow it and then give her a bit more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

encino34

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been doing that but not with food. Do I just take a pinch of wet food and mush it in her mouth? She resists soo much

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been doing that but not with food. Do I just take a pinch of wet food and mush it in her mouth? She resists soo much
No, you may want to see about using gerber baby food, its much easier to syringe feed that than cat food. It won't be a complete food but since it is sunday, it would work until you could get some Hill's a/d for her. That is a specially made food for syringe feeding sick kitties.

encino34

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found a vet open today with the syringes and royal canine recovery wet food. She's now sitting by the water bowl drinking finally after 3 days.

encino34

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well its been over a week now and she still will not eat on her own. She is still stuffed up and no sense of smell not even to tuna or hot sauce. I'm still syringe feeding her vet recovery food, some lactulose, some lutri-lys by pro concepts and her doxycycline. How much longer can or will this go on for?

encino34

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if she's just refusing to eat or if she still can't smell. Still not interested in eating on her own.