Sifting Litter Pan

rexinminn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm doing some research/shopping for sifting litter pans, the sort that have a grate built into the bottom of the pan. There are several interesting examples found online (YouTube has several vids) but most of them are too small for what I prefer to provide for my cats. I'm especially interested in finding a system I can make myself using the larger storage bins found at hardware stores. One woman on YouTube has modified the Tidy Cat sifting system and adapted it for using pine pellets, but the Tidy Cat litter pans are on the small side. We are leaning away from the standard clumping litters because of the silicates they contain which may be harmful to a cat over time. We intend to begin introducing the pellets to our cat in a gradual fashion, eventually moving to a sifting system. Do you have a preference for litter pans that you find especially convenient and effective?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats will not use pellets :(

I did use a sifting pan with my litter for a while. In some ways it was easier, but i got tired of it fairly soon. Seemed to be more work and mess than a regular pan and a scoop, at least for me.

I use a regular pan now, and a grass based litter, or litter maid walnut litter. I also am not a fan of clay litter!

Good luck with your new system, when you decide on one, let us know how it goes!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use sifting pans but if I were to ever use one I think I would just make it myself. You can buy two pans where one is a bit smaller and fits into the other. Then just drill some holes into the top pan.

soubida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use pellets for my cat, and find that the sifting boxes are simply expensive and do not work, at all. The pellets always get stuck, and the amount of litter that you sift each time is simply too much to make the sifting system practical. Just sift it with a normal scoop, it doesn't even take that much time (20min everyday max).

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use pellets for my cat, and find that the sifting boxes are simply expensive and do not work, at all. The pellets always get stuck, and the amount of litter that you sift each time is simply too much to make the sifting system practical. Just sift it with a normal scoop, it doesn't even take that much time (20min everyday max).
This is exactly what I do. I have giant Rubbermaid totes as litter boxes so there’s no way I can lift it to “sift”... so I use my litter scoop as a sifter. Scoop up some and gently shake over a plastic bad - sawdust falls into the bag and the pellets stay in the scoop and get tossed back into the box

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have using a sifter box for years. Takes 30 seconds to flip the box, sift, shake and return the litter to the main box. The pluses are that your litter stays cleaner because you don’t break clumps or poop in the midst of scooping them. And you get everything. The negative is weight but I use lightweight litter and don’t find the extra large box to heavy to left and dump.

t_atom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am looking for advice on sifting litter boxes. Which one do you like?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
k
I am looking for advice on sifting litter boxes. Which one do you like?
Mine is really old and I don’t recall the maker but they are all pretty much the same. I never used the litter pan that came with the sifter since I think they are too small. I just set the sifter part inside my extra litter box and dump the litter through it. Because I line my litterbox with a puppy pad I dump the clumps from the sifter into the trash and then pour the clean litter back into the main litter box. Otherwise you can just alternate the two litter pans as the litter box when you sift and be done cleaning the box in a half minute.

I know there are videos on YouTube of some sifting litterboxes. That would seems to be a good place to start.

Last edited:

t_atom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
k

Mine is really old and I don’t recall the maker but they are all pretty much the same. I never used the litter pan that came with the sifter since I think they are too small. I just set the sifter part inside my extra litter box and dump the litter through it. Because I line my litterbox with a puppy pad I dump the clumps from the sifter into the trash and then pour the clean litter back into the main litter box. Otherwise you can just alternate the two litter pans as the litter box when you sift and be done cleaning the box in a half minute.

I know there are videos on YouTube of some sifting litterboxes. That would seems to be a good place to start.
Thank you.

The Luuup seems somewhat different, to me. My perception is that it is a little better engineered than, say, the Arm and Hammer pan, and maybe made from a better plastic, which could mean a more durable product. Of course, the Luuup is 4x the price of the Arm and Hammer. I can't find much in the way of objective opinion of the Luuup, though.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the All Pine Litter Box It’s a sifting Box made for use with pine pellets! You have to purchase it off their website but it is so worth it!!!I have none of the complaints you hear about sifting boxes made for regular litter that people try to then use pine pellets in. If you are going to use the pellets this box is Great Hope this info helps

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

The Luuup seems somewhat different, to me. My perception is that it is a little better engineered than, say, the Arm and Hammer pan, and maybe made from a better plastic, which could mean a more durable product. Of course, the Luuup is 4x the price of the Arm and Hammer. I can't find much in the way of objective opinion of the Luuup, though.
I don’t know that you need to get an expensive one. You want a decent screen at the bottom that will pick up small poop pieces and sturdy so it doesn’t twist but most will do just fine.