Sides Heaving

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it normal to see a cat's sides moving when she breathes? At rest and/or with activity?

I keep reading that cats panting and their sides visibly heaving when they breathe is not normal.

Marbles pants when she is running around occasionally, or when it's really hot- I posted about that before.

But I always see her sides moving when she breathes. More pronounced with activity, but even at rest you can see it at all times. Can this be normal, as opposed to what I'm reading?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
What are her breaths per minute?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, right now she's sleeping and they're 24/min. I think they're normal when she's up and about

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think that sounds normal, I think the range is 20-30 breaths per minute; but if her sides are heaving, it's best to check with a vet.

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I mean, idk if I'd call it "heaving" when she's asleep, but I can see her sides move. Like you and I visibly breathe deeply when we are asleep? It doesn't seem like it should be abnormal to me...

But when she plays at all- You can see her sides heaving as soon as she gets active playing. After like just two min of actively running nonstop she'll stop and pant.

But it doesn't stop her...she'll pant for a min and then keep on going if I let her, although usually I'll stop playing w her til her breathing slows back down in that case. She's a little wild thing when she gets going.

Can we upload videos here? Was trying to but it seems I can't.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I think if you upload to youtube and post a link here we can see it that way.

I have a cat with asthma-and before treatment-she used to breathe 45 per minute in her sleep, coughing, fast breathing-we did x rays and it showed inflammation in her lungs.

how old is your baby again? You can schedule an appointment and ask for xrays if the panting is often. Some cats pant in hot weather-my angel Floey used to pant in her younger years-we shaved her in the summer and I didn't see her pant anymore but we also have AC now and used to make her stay indoors during high ozone days and hot/humid/yucky weather days.

Does your cat cough at all or wheeze in the middle of night in their sleep? My girl used to cough until we started inhaled steroids.

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No- she doesn't cough ever. And in her sleep she breathes normally.