sickly stray needs...blood, a bath, dead tail snipped??? What do you think?

spaythestrays81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I am new to this site, not to taking in poor, helpless, unloved animals.  So we all have something in common. Well real quick, found a stray "Zombie" 10/6/12. Couldn't believe she was still alive.  Worms...Big time!Fleas! Open sores on hind legs, severely malnourished. Just a sad sad case. I treated with frontline 10/9, took to SPCA on 10/15 to treat worms-Drontal.No temperature, 4.3lbs. estimated by teeth to be 6-9 months old. Very anemic hopefully from fleas and worms, not from an internal injury or something worse.  should i bath her today? I'm afraid of scratching and hurting her. Also do i have to use dawn?

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd hold back on the bathing unless there is a truly pressing need for it.  Is there?   As she feels better she'll start cleaning herself up though it might a few days.   You are awesome helping this kitty out!

In the title you mentioned a dead tail?   I don't have experience with this but I doubt it's safe to cut off part of it even if it looks "dead" without anaesthesia and a sterile situation.   Maybe there's a vet who can  help with this?

Last edited:

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree that a bath right now would not be a good thing. I'd confine her, keep her warm, safe and well fed and let her do some recovering. The meds should help with the worms and fleas. I'd also be very cautious about giving her a lot of food at one time. Several smaller meals spread out might be easier for her little body to digest. As far as the tail, well, wait for a vet to handle that.

She may need an antibiotic to help with anything that she's infected with (as in, from flea bites). I had one rescue/foster whose anemia had to be treated medically and it was caused by flea bites. Do you have a vet you can take her to see?

Thanks for helping this little one. Poor little cat - she's been through a lot for such a youngster.

Please keep us posted.

catmom5

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about bathing her until she's feeling a little better. The only reason to bathe a sick cat is to get dangerous substances off its fur; since she hasn't got any poison on her fur or anything like that, the worst you'll get for not bathing her is that she looks scruffy until she has the energy to lick herself clean.

You should be going over her fur with a flea comb, though. If she had a major flea problem, it's entirely likely that she'll still have a few hanging around. Comb thoroughly; drown the fleas in soapy water. Ask the vet about when you can give a second dose of flea medicine. You may need to treat the worms again as well. Do you have a vet who will let you call and ask for advice in between visits? You really should talk to him about that tail. If the cat has broken its tail sometime in the past, it needs to be checked out by a vet.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a damp washcloth and just wipe her down, repeat as needed until some of the gunk on her coat is gone. Then, as soon as you're done, dry her with a towel warmed up in the dryer. While not as thorough as a bath it's bound to make her feel better. And it sounds as if you'd feel better about it too.