Sick Or Growth Spurt? 2 1/2 Month Old Siblings Slate N Gizmo

Keeb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and thank you in advance. My wife and I bought our house in August and brought 2 kittens home at the end of October. These two kittens have completed our house and have been Uber active on their cat tree with their Toys and all around healthy. They are scheduled for their second round of shots next Monday.
Gizmo-female is the runt and since last night she has been very lethargic. She is eating and pooping with no diarrhea and no vomit. She is just sleeping a lot and we along with Slate are concerned. Wondering if we should take her to the vet before next week or just monitor her as long as she is not vomiting and doesn't have diarrhea.
Additional question when they are both of age we will be getting both of them fixed one male and one female. I will ask the vet but should we have them both done at once or one at a time. My male Slate is already exhibiting some spraying and aggressive behaviors. Thanks again Franki n Julie

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
A sudden unexplained change in behavior like this might warrant a vet visit. Can you call your vet and talk with him/her?

One advantage I could think of getting them spayed/neutered at the same time is that you'd have the both of them to keep contained and less active while they heal..although that might be harder ;)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. When you say she is eating and pooping - is that at normal levels, or less than normal but still happening? How old are these kittens? How long ago was the last/initial round of shots? Long enough ago that she wouldn't likely be demonstrating signs/reactions related to the shots? Has anything more developed with her behavior since last night - even the slightest?

I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom , at a minimum, call the vet and tell them you're concerned. It might warrant an earlier than planned vet visit. Especially when they are pretty young, there are just too many variables about what might be going on.

As you said, talk to your vet about whether they would think spaying and neutering at the same time could pose any additional (or less) challenges for you. That is an either/or kind of thing, and maybe the vet's opinion can help you choose which way to go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Keeb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, just got off the phone w vet. They advise monitor and check temp. Suggested check gum pinkness. The first round of shots were on 10/28.
nothing new no changes
They advised if she has a temp or starts to vomit or have diarrhea to bring her in.
She is eating and pooping per her normal routine.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as fixing them, definitely at the same time. Otherwise the one who had the procedure done comes home smelling foreign to the other and this can cause issues, as well as one feeling spunky and the other not wanting to be bothered.
At 2 1/2 months old the male can't be spraying or marking and showing aggression due to hormones, he is not even close to developing in that way yet, at the very earliest it may possibly begin at or just before 5 months old, but most normally later around 6-7 months and beyond. He may have a more aggressive personality, but most often it's the female who is dominant in the home over the male.
Gizmo may have a virus, depending on where/what she may have been exposed to, including the vet's office.
Corona virus will cause lethargy but no vomiting or diarrhea for instance.
The key is supportive care, making certain plenty of fluids are going in since fever will cause the need for more than usual fluid usage. If a virus, Slate will likely come down with it too.

Keeb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As far as fixing them, definitely at the same time. Otherwise the one who had the procedure done comes home smelling foreign to the other and this can cause issues, as well as one feeling spunky and the other not wanting to be bothered.
At 2 1/2 months old the male can't be spraying or marking and showing aggression due to hormones, he is not even close to developing in that way yet, at the very earliest it may possibly begin at or just before 5 months old, but most normally later around 6-7 months and beyond. He may have a more aggressive personality, but most often it's the female who is dominant in the home over the male.
Gizmo may have a virus, depending on where/what she may have been exposed to, including the vet's office.
Corona virus will cause lethargy but no vomiting or diarrhea for instance.
The key is supportive care, making certain plenty of fluids are going in since fever will cause the need for more than usual fluid usage. If a virus, Slate will likely come down with it too.
Thank you very much for the 411. If he is too young to spray he may have just urinated those two times . He is definitely the dominant one over the female may just be his size . Gizmo is still sleeping a lot still eating and pooping no vomiting no diarrhea . We will most likely take her to the vet in the morning. I just don't mean see many symptoms other than sleeping and believe they won't be up to diagnose her with anything . We may have to leave her at the vet for the day as we are both working I'm sure that won't help her emotional well-being.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my guy was a kitten, he was in constant motion and very active. However, just before a big growth spurt, he would sleep...A LOT. He wasn't very active, but would eat and use the litter box as normal. The vet told me it was normal because kittens grow in their sleep.

Keeb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gizmo's temp is 104, we will take her to vet 1st thing in the am.Poor baby, thank u everyone sure she will be ok.

Keeb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let us know what they say :vibes::crossfingers:
So, after temp taking we gave her some pedia-lite last nite and within 30 minutes she was wrestling and running around w her brother. Wife slept on couch w her and this morning she jumped up and was meowing for food. She didn't Do that yesterday. Hopefully full day of pampering (keeping her brother from jumping on her head and ensuring rest. We will monitor if temp doesn't go down to the vet. We have shots Monday will talk w vet. I really appreciate this venue, thank you for having us.
It's hard not to get lost in the forums....

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So it does appear to be some virus for her temp to be elevated to 104, the pediolyte rehydrated her and put the spunk back.
If, as it is absorbed she gets lethargic again because the virus is not fading yet, she should see vet. Viruses usually are in and back out within about 3 days.
I would postpone the vaccines by at least a few days also. Her tiny system has been overworking to deal with this so it needs a few to recuperate before dealing with another foreign invasion :)

Keeb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let us know what they say :vibes::crossfingers:
Thank you very much for the 411. If he is too young to spray he may have just urinated those two times . He is definitely the dominant one over the female may just be his size . Gizmo is still sleeping a lot still eating and pooping no vomiting no diarrhea . We will most likely take her to the vet in the morning. I just don't mean see many symptoms other than sleeping and believe they won't be up to diagnose her with anything . We may have to leave her at the vet for the day as we are both working I'm sure that won't help her emotional well-being.
It's been so nice to see Gizmo and Slate so active. Of course continuing to monitor. If all continues as fabulous will discuss symptoms w Vet.
These babies are precious all our babies are precious.
I've only had one dog for 14 years never considered myself a cat person but I have been converted. I am meow a kitty mommas.