sick kitty

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by JacquieFaith
Pete -

Thank you so much for those wonderful and kind words. You made me cry, but in a good way. I will try to remember what you said.

I will not get another cat like Norty, who was a gray tabby. Maybe something totally different. I will never forget Norty. He was the best cat in the world. He never did anything wrong in his life, and I am not just saying that. I wish he were here with me, but I hope to see him again one day in heaven. Until then, he will live in my heart and my dreams.

Thanks you so much

- Jacquie
Jacquie,
I spoke from the heart, and I believe you will see him again. He IS there with you, in your heart and in your memories; only his physical being has changed, his presence has not. God Bless.

Pete

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Norty. You did what you could for him. It is rough loosing a loved one. Please do not do the what if's. You gave him love,attention,care and a home, for that you are his angel. Now he will look in on you from time to time and be glad that he left his footprint in your heart. Please, if you need to talk feel free to let it out here.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am VERY sorry to hear about Norty. I know how u feel. I had a cat named Doonesbury for over 15 years and he was my BEST friend. Over 10 years ago, He stopped eating one day and rapidly lost weight since then. The vet told me that I had a choice- to put him on an iv to force feed or put him to sleep.
I couldn't accept either choice (what kind of quality life would Doonesbury have hooked up to an iv???) so I brought him home praying that he would start eating again so I wouldn't have to make that choice. During the weekend, I tried everything I could think of to get him to eat and didn't have any luck until that Sunday nite. He finally ate some tuna. I was sooo THRILLED and thought that meant he was on his way back to recovery. Monday was my first day working after school so I didn't come until 5 and when I arrived home, my dad had to tell me that Doonesbury died around 3 (my usual time to arrive home) I still wonder if he was waiting for me to come home before he died. I guess I will always wonder about that. I feel guilty about that myself. It BROKE my heart! I cried, cried for over a month and couldn't sleep for at least 2 weeks (Doonesbury ALWAYS slept with me). My neighbor's cat just had kittens and when she heard that my cat died, she told my mom that she'll keep one kitten for me. When I first heard of this offer, I got really upset because I knew that NO cat can ever replace Doonesbury in my heart (we had a VERY VERY special relationship) and I felt it was too soon but after a month of not sleeping and feeling empty, I knew I needed to have a cat to love and care for. When I went to pick out a kitten from my neighbor's litter, I MADE sure that the kitten was the TOTAL opposite of Doonesbury in every way- Doonesbury was black, male and BIG. Rusty, the new kitten I picked was a calico tiny female. That helped me heal and I grew to love Rusty.
No cat will ever replace Doonesbury in my heart and I know it will never happen BUT other cats have created their own niche in my heart in different ways. I have 4 cats (2 are living at home with my parents now) and 2 cats living with me and I love them all in different ways.
It's important to remember that u gave Norty the best care possible and u did everything u could do to meet his needs. He was very lucky to have lived with u and ur hubby.
U will see him someday in heaven. I know that WILL happen! I know Doonesbury will greet me in Heaven.
Several times when I was at my parents home, I got a real strong feeling that Doonesbury was there in the room. I just can't explain the feeling but I KNEW he was there with me. Norty will check in on u once in a while.

Hang in there! When u feel ready to adopt a kitten or cat, I encourage u to make sure the new cat will be the "opposite" of Norty..
Remember we all understand what u are going thru and we empathize totally with u.
Pamela

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jacquiefaith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pamela The same thing you described with Doonesbury happened to Norty. He stopped eating and lost weight suddenly. The IV from the vet did not work at all. I just couldn't bear to see him suffer. We had been force feeding him and we could tell he was laboring. My husband just now called me to tell me he picked up his ashes today. It's all so horrible. Besides my husband, he really was my best friend.

Anyway, last week we got a new kitten. I was totally against it, but my husband insisted. He also is the exact opposite of Norty. Norty was a domestic grey tabby and Jinxy is a silver Persian. He is totally adorable, and it definitely helped having him around although I feel really guilty about loving a new kitty. He does need a mommy though and he is way cute. I try not to say the same things to him that I said to Norty and when I find myself doing it I get really sad. I hope Norty is not mad at me. I let him do things that Norty was not allowed to do because he is a kitten and he doesn't understand yet. That makes me feel really guilty too. I just pray for Norty and that he understands. I will remember him every day no matter what. Thanks for your message, its somehow comforting to know that other people went through what we went through.

If anyone out there has a cat that suddenly changes their eating habits, please dont assume your cat is finicky. Take him immediately to the vet. I'm still not sure if anything could have been done, but if there is a possibility, you must be aware of it.

Peace and love - Jacquie

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jacquie,

I felt guilty also when I first got Rusty after Doonesbury passed away. I didn't want Doonesbury to feel like I was replacing him and forgetting him.

It took time for the guilt to go away and hmm..I made sure to do new traditions with Rusty so there wouldn't be too many similarities in my relationship with rusty compared to mine with Doonesbury.

It will take time and u will NEVER forget Norty but the grief does ease. U have many wonderful memories of Norty that no one can ever take away. I have many fond memories of Doonesbury myself.

Enjoy Jinxy! U're right, he needs a mommy. Remember to love him as an invidual. Don't feel guilty about letting him do things that u normally wouldn't let NOrty do.

Hang in there.
Pamela

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jacquiefaith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Pam. I will remember that. I will make sure my relationship with him is not the same. Well, it isn't the same, but I am a good mommy to him. He's just a kitten, I have to be there for him. At first it was drudgery, but now it's like I need an outlet to channel my love that I gave to Norty, so Jinxy is getting that benefit. I am also comforted by the fact that Eric picked up Norty's ashes yesterday, and they are now in a pretty little chest that I put on our mantle. He belongs home and I am glad that is where he will stay. I am crying just thinking about it. My poor baby!!

Anyway, thanks for the sweet note. Your kitty is very lucky to have you!

-Jacquie