Sick kitty....

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 5 cats. 1 is pregnant and 1 is sick, I just don't know how sick. He has been sneezing for the past week and actually having snot come out which I have NEVER seen in a cat, he occasionally has coughing spasms which are so loud they make us jump (sounds like he is "hocking a lugey" (sp) ), and when he has been home he has been throwing up a minimum of 1-2 times per day. Obviously this isn't right or normal. As soon as I can beg the money for the vet, he will be there but for right now has anyone seen these symptoms in a cat? If so, what are they indicative of? Can he infect my other cats, especially the mommy? Can you think of anything that can help him for the moment until I can find some cash? (credit score is bad so I know that CareCredit, if they have it for vets, isn't an option). He is still the same personality wise, but do cats get bad colds? All his symptoms SOUND like those of your average nasty human cold....at least to me, but my cats have always been healthy, so I don't know...

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. This could be very serious, especially if it has been going on more than a week.

Yes, this could make your other cats sick.

A major concern is dehydration because of the vomiting or pneumonia. You really need a vet and probably some antibiotics.

Have you read this to see if something might help? http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155462

I hope you can get some help. This could be very bad for new kittens. They may not be strong enough to fight off an infection when they are born.

Cats get different kinds of "colds/flu" and only a vet will be able to get the right medication to help.

The only thing I can think of is to sit in the bathroom with the door closed and hot water running to make a steam. Stay in there with your cat to make sure it does not get hurt. Does not take long.

Make sure they are getting food and water. Sorry I can't help much. Praying you can get to a vet quickly.

7_angel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about your sick kitty.

Is he a new addition? Are any of the other cats new members of the family? He could have feline herpes. Another cat could have given it to him, or he could just have it - but it can be spread to other cats - that would possibly explain the snot. The throwing up, I'm not exactly sure, but all the snot your cat is swallowing could upset his tummy. Make sure he gets plenty of fluids though - he could easily get dehydrated and that is bad.

With that many cats, I think it would be good to have a thermometer around for taking their temps if you are unsure of how serious their condition is. I use a digital thermometer - it was about $8 or so at Walmart - pretty inexpensive. You have to take their temperature rectally. Clean the thermometer really well - I use one of those slip cover things and then put butter on the end of it. Insert a 1/2 inch to 1 inch into the anus (not pleasant for you or the cat!)

Wait til it beeps. If kitty's temp is above 102.5 - you need to get to the vet ASAP. 100 to 102.5 is a normal range - it's higher than humans, but that's ok.

If he doesn't have a fever, you should still see the vet, however, I would try to get him on something like L-Lysine. It can be ordered online, or you can get it from pretty much anywhere you get vitamins (Walgreens, etc). The pill will have to be crushed - I sprinkle it on wet food and they eat it right up. Give him about 1 crushed pill a day. You will not see results immediately - it takes some time. I buy the L-Lysine already in powder form, you can order it online here: http://www.imedmart.com/Now/L-Lysine-Powder/1-lb.html
- about 1/4 teaspoon a day.

Also, try using a vaporizer which should help some of the congestion. Just make sure kitty can't tip it over or burn himself on it.

I would separate him from the other cats too just in case.

Hope he gets better soon!!!