Sick kitten

Kristino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
My daughter brought me a sick kitten she found in the wheel well of a truck. He was infested with fleas, earmites, and worms. He is emaciated, but when he first came to us he was eating on his own, now he will only eat if I feed him with a surenge. He is lethargic, and if he can see the litter box he will use it, but if not he just goes where he is and lays in it. I am at a loss as to what else to do for him. He has been medicated for the worms mites, and fleas. All but the fleas seem to be under control. I am still having to comb him regularly for the fleas. I am feedi g him with a mixture of wet kitten food, and milk replacer. However, he just doesn't seem to be recovering, maybe I'm expecting too much too soon, we have only been caring for him for four days.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
did you take him to the vet ? maybe the poor cat is injured or needs to be on drips for dehydration if he is emanciated ? Please take the kitten to the vet to get the poor cat checked out properly. And thank you for looking after him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kristino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, none of the vets in town are taking new patients. I'm thinking if he doesn't improve soon we may have to take him to the Humane Society.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What country are you in?
What milk replacer do you use?
Roughly, how much do you give him a day? It is easy to give too little. Of course one whom is emaciated shall not get too much too soon. The amount must be build up during several days.

Can you get raw goats milk? If so, do it. May help some.

Give food in small portions but often... Lotsa of work, I know...

Can you get glucose sugar / dextrose? If not, you can use instead white caro syrup or honey.

Mix it with water, and you can smear on his lips and gum now and then. Gives extra energhy.
Also, give droplets of such a sweetened water for him to drink extra. Add some salt in this sweetened water - especielly if he has diarrhea. I suspect he has, and that is why he soil on himself if the litter isnt nearby.

Alternatively, if you can get pedialyte, clear flavorless pedialyte as is for human babies, is good. It contains both salts and some glucose sugar.

Be sure he is warm and cozy. With warm means an active heating source. An IR-heating lamp is very good, but a heating pad is OK. Or you carrying it around at the chest cangaroo style.
The sick ones are always freezing, no?

Talk a lot friendly to him, sing for him if you wish. Pray.

Most probably he is weak because emaciated, and was heavily infested with parasites...

So a very good everyday care is the most important here.

You mentioned the last way out, abandoning to the Human Society. I suppose you mean, they will pts him. Yes, probably, unless they happen to have an experienced caretaker ready to take over... And or access to a vet...
So, it may be wise anyway to contact them and ask if they can help you with a vet. You are willing to be the fosterer and caretaker, but...
Sometimes they do this compromise: because their most important limit is not always money, but usually lack of fosterhomes...

Another thing, many vets arent used to work with weak kittens, if there isnt a clear cut diagnosis or injury. But hopefully a vet cooperating with a shelter is used to weak kittens and emaciated cats...

K Kristino

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
K Kristino

What specific meds have you given for worms, mites, and fleas?

How old is the kitten? Can you please post a picture? How much does he weigh? Are his baby teeth in yet?

He sounds dehydrated. Please pick up clear unflavored pedialyte to give him via syringe. Also mix it into his wet food and milk. Also, pick up jars of Gerber turkey or chicken meat baby food. It is full of protein and easy to lick. Most kittens love it.

Let’s see if we can help you get him better. Thank you for trying to save him! :heartshape: