Sick Kitten

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
before anyone says anything he is seeing a vet and has been for the past month and half.

My 7 month kitten, mufasa, has been really sick lately and the vets don’t know why. So maybe someone here went through the same thing? We got him at two months and he was covered with fleas. It’s been an on going battle with trying different treatments and cleaning the house. We tried cheristine last and he developed red eyes. I brought him to the emergency vet immediately. They gave him capstar, dewormer (we found out then he had tapeworms), and steroids. He had a fever of 104. He started to throw up once he got home. And non stop. I scheduled an appointment with his normal vet and they were pissed that the other vet gave him steroids when he is far to young and weak for that.

His normal vet, gave him antibiotics about two weeks ago. He still has a very high fever. Last we checked he was 103.8. But the odd thing is I check his ears through out the day and sometimes it would be cold and then a hour later is so freakin hot. Tonight he threw up all of his food for the day and his temperature was through the roof.

Any ideas? I’m just so stressed and i feel helpless. Like I failed him.

60C237E8-B7B8-44D9-8159-137184D01779.jpeg

When his fever acts up he lays in the sink to cool off. :(
67811FCC-E083-4CD4-B3AC-6E29DB37903B.jpeg

ptstrife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The fact the little guy was covered with fleas when you got him makes me wonder. Has your vet tested him for bartonella? My Tim was sick as a kitten although in him it manifested primarily as a gum infection. We tried all sorts of antibiotics with no luck. Finally, the vet consulted with the dentist at Angell Memorial in Boston. He suggested testing for bartonella and he was right. At that time, the only medication that worked for bartonella was zithromyacin. He was on it for 3 months. He was about 4 months old when we discovered it. He's 14 years old now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The fact the little guy was covered with fleas when you got him makes me wonder. Has your vet tested him for bartonella? My Tim was sick as a kitten although in him it manifested primarily as a gum infection. We tried all sorts of antibiotics with no luck. Finally, the vet consulted with the dentist at Angell Memorial in Boston. He suggested testing for bartonella and he was right. At that time, the only medication that worked for bartonella was zithromyacin. He was on it for 3 months. He was about 4 months old when we discovered it. He's 14 years old now.
I’ll definitely ask my vet to check for that today. But his teeth and gums are perfect, but it doesn’t it hurt to try. I’m glad you guys caught it and he is ok now. :)