Sick Kitten Small For Its Age?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not the first time I've fostered kittens without their mother but I am now responsible for a single kitten, estmated to be three or 4 weeks old which weighed just over 200g when it was checked by a vet 4 days ago. It had been found on an industrial estate - no trace of mama nor siblings. Ginger is male and suffering from cat flue (URI). One eye was completely closed, his nose was blocked and no-one gave him much of a chance as he refused to suck from a bottle and was completely apathetic. The vet gave him an infusion as he was deyhydrated, a Feliserin injection, and antibiotics. He was then handed over to me with a bottle of eyedrops.

The medication must have been effective because we were able to get him to drink milk (at first more by forced feeding as he has either lost the sucking reflex or his nose is too blocked so he has difficulty breathing and drinking). At the next visit to the vet for another infusion and more antibiotics we were told that Ginger is not out of danger yet but the fact that he is eating and has put on weight is a positive sign.

My question is how much should he be drinking? I am giving him 4-5 feeds a day (sometimes he is just too tired) and each time I make up 20 ml KMR which he doesn't usually manage. In the 4 days he has been with me he has put on 70g and has become very adventurous - trying to climb out of his pen. I am sure he would prefer to run free around the house and swing on the curtains. He has developed his own method of getting milk out of the bottle and I have no problem giving him antibiotics by mixing the crushed pill with water and using a syringe. I hope he survives and I don't want to be responsible for starving him to death.

His eyes are a lot better - it's not easy giving the little fidget his eyedrops but I often get some help from my daughter. They are still very red and it may be a herpes infection.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he weighs 270 grams now that's 9 1/2 ounces. He needs a minimum of 80mLs each 24 hours, so divided by 4 feedings, he would need to drink 20mLs each feeding.

However, he may need that broken into 6 feedings of 13-14mLs each, especially if his tummy gets a syringe of water when he needs a pill.

The trick with underweight kittens is to feed less but more often.

His eyes should clear once his URI clears up.

If he continues to gain weight like he has been, he should turn out okay!

Thanks for saving him! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the information. He needs a pill twice a day, but I don't use more than 1 ml of water in a 2 ml syringe. Today I was able to use the water in which I'd boiled some small pieces of turkey breast (no salt added!) and he loved that. The turkey was for another foster; a very sick cat (FIV +ve), whose treatment unfortunately only started 4 months ago when he was caught. This cat looks in far better condition than when he came to me in February, but the vet has now stopped medication as his organs are beginning to fail. Since he still enjoys his food I refused euthanisation last week but even I can see it's only a question of time. In addition, one of my own cats has chronic kidney problems, also requiring medication, so I feel as though I am running a cat clinic!

Today, Ginger will be given 5 feeds. I'll do my best to organise 6 tomorrow. I hope I merit your thanks for saving him! When his eyes look healthier I'll post a picture. But, he is not a pretty sight right now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We'd love to see his picture at any time!

Thanks for all that you are doing!