Sick Feral?

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I am the caretaker of a healthy feral colony at the horse farm where I keep my horse. The original 2 ferals (Julius and Tidbit) were placed by the Humane Society as barn cat transplants and they have done well. Three kittens around 8 weeks old were abandoned there (spayed and neutered) a year ago, along with another neutered mail, and most recently, an intact male flame point Siamese (gorgeous!) who is very passive and polite with the established clan.

My concern is with Tidbit, one of the original (and least friendly) ferals. He was a healthy, large (for a feral) cat, but several months ago I noticed a hair loss pattern of short hair where it looked like he was licking himself excessively. I thought maybe a food allergy so I cut out the seafood from the dry/wet mix but it continued. I gave him (as best I could) a Capstar and Advantix II treatment while he was eating, in hopes it was worms/fleas but now a week or so later it still seems like his fur is licked super short....

Does anyone know what I can do to help Tidbit? All of the other 7 ferals are fat and happy and I'm wondering if maybe he's allergic to chicken or turkey in the food, not the seafood?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you take him to a vet? It looks like you've tried everything you could, and I wouldn't assume it's a food allergy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
To take him to a vet I would have to trap him (as opposed to the 6 other ferals in the clan). I have a trap but the chances of getting him versus the others is slim. I have been feeding Putrina Naturals + Vitamins and Minerals dry food (chicken and turkey) and Friskies wet chicken/turkey pate and it seems like it doesn't help. Has anyone heard of a chicken/turkey allergy?? I've only seen personally salmon/seafood.

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking he might have a nasty parasite, although I never see him itching, he may have gotten something from fleas, poor guy... :(

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will your vet prescribe a dewormer for him without seeing him? If not, when I'm at home at my desktop I can private message you a link to where you can purchase a dewormer (Canadian pharmacies don't require a script for a dewormer). Can you administer Frontline Plus between his shoulders while he's eating? Fleas can cause itching, scabs, hair loss and anemia. You can purchase Frontline Plus most cheaply on Amazon or ebay. Cats don't usually suddenly develop food allergies, so if this is a recent problem I would try the Frontline and a dewormer.

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Will your vet prescribe a dewormer for him without seeing him? If not, when I'm at home at my desktop I can private message you a link to where you can purchase a dewormer (Canadian pharmacies don't require a script for a dewormer). Can you administer Frontline Plus between his shoulders while he's eating? Fleas can cause itching, scabs, hair loss and anemia. You can purchase Frontline Plus most cheaply on Amazon or ebay. Cats don't usually suddenly develop food allergies, so if this is a recent problem I would try the Frontline and a dewormer.

My vet won't prescribe without seeing him unfortunately :(
But what you said is what I'm thinking....he has a BAD infestation of fleas/worms causing the constant licking and fur issues. The Advantage II and Capstar I tried to give him didn't help. I'm in South Florida, so flea and worm season is literally year-round.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
A chicken/turkey allergy isn't out of the question, but if he has only recently started itching fleas or worms are more likely.

You can get Frontline from Amazon, this keeps fleas, ticks, mites and mosquitoes off cats for a month at a time.

My cats are semi-feral too. While they are eating I stand next to them and squirt the Frontline liquid onto the back of their necks. The fur parts when their heads are down, so it goes directly onto the skin. I can't get close enough to apply it any other way with some of the wilder ones.

I'm interested in the flame point Siamese you mentioned. Has he been scanned for a chip? Someone might be missing their pet.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem with Capstar is that it only kills the fleas currently on the cat's body, it doesn't kill the eggs, so new fleas can hatch. Frontline Plus kills everything for 30 days. Don't give the Frontline until it's been 30 days since you've given the Advantage without asking a vet if that's okay to do. If I can figure out how to link the site for the dewormer from my phone I'll do it tonite otherwise it will be tomorrow.

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm interested in the flame point Siamese you mentioned. Has he been scanned for a chip? Someone might be missing their pet.
The flame point siamese is a tom cat apparently, and he is large and healthy. Based on his very, very shy nature toward humans, but his acceptance by the kittens and alpha cat in the feral colony, I'm thinking he is a roaming feral that is being fed regularly at some of the nearby houses. I've been feeding one like him at my house, and in 6 years I've never been able to get within arm's reach of him. He is quite beautiful though, and it seems he's found a new clan since the kittens love to play with him. I've been checking the local lost/found ads to see if anyone in the area is missing such a unique-looking cat, but so far nothing, and based on his behavior, I think if he 'belongs' to anyone, it's from a distance, and he's probably visiting them for a 2nd dinner after the one I feed the group.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you will consider trapping the siamese to get him neutered. If you get him neutered, he will be less likely to roam and fight, less likely to get some diseases, and he won't impregnate any female cats. I had a beloved feral tomcat I cared for during 5 years on my porch. I was never able to trap him to neuter him, he had been trapped before and was trap savvy. He was a good papa cat and brought his offspring to me and my neighbors to feed and care for. He loved his kittens and played with them. Long story short, by the time he passed away two years ago, I had adopted three of his offspring and my neighbors adopted another three. They were all neutered and spayed and socialized to live indoors. One remains outside, but she is spayed and well-cared-for. So it does happen that toms will bring you their offspring, and if you want to remove the possibility of your beautiful tomcat bringing his kittens to you to care for, you might want to get him neutered.

Last edited:

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
I will certainly try to trap him, now that he's showing up regularly in the past 2 weeks. Luckily the small colony (only 6 cats) has only one female and she's neutered. All of the other males are neutered too. The only other tom cat from last year, I took home, neutered and microchipped and he is now an indoor cat due to his cataracts and misaligned jaw that makes it hard to eat. It was too hard for him to fight for food amongst the hungry kittens and I had to sit with him while he ate separately. Anyway the flame point gorgeous, blue-eyed tom cat has been accepted into the clan so I will do my best to trap and neuter him. As for Tidbit, the old tabby licking his fur off, I'm guessing it must me worms and parasites, and possibly fleas too, but it's strange how none of the others are afflicted like he is. One of the kittens had a worm once, was treated and has never shown symptoms since but poor Tidbit has grown steadily worse over the months and the recent loss of weight despite all he's eating points to parasites over food allergies. I will try to get the right stuff to treat him because he really is a beautiful cat, even if he's the only one who won't let me near him at all...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, I'm glad to hear he's well fed and healthy.

:sunshine:

Has Tidbit been tested for FIV? One of my former ferals has FIV and she seems to pick up worms really quickly, even with regular worming. Maybe something about having a compromised immune system makes her more susceptible to parasites? Only speculating here, but I have noticed she'll pick up worms if I'm even a week late with giving them their worming meds.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is such a range of things that hair loss can be caused from. Everything from allergies, to Fleas to Mange to thyroid conditions.

Another possibility is stress. Has another cat entered the area? Did something change? (Sadly stress can be in the form of an illness or worms etc.)

My cat licks and scratches himself bald when stressed.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kitties AND horses - - -can I come live with you? :) Sounds like heaven!

Isn't it ALWAYS the least handleable/hardest to trap that have the most issues? A few years ago we had one in our colony (with the highly original name "Blackie") show up one night with what we hoped was a painful sprained leg, but finally decided it was very-broken leg (of course in the dead of winter - with 2 feet of snow) .She was quite smart and very trap savvy - and in this case, too much for her own good. Long story short -our vet was kind enough to prescribe us some painkillers, anti-inflammatories (and antibiotics too I think - - it's been awhile) to put in her food, etc. We fed her separately from the others, with those medications stuffed in cheese, or sprinkled throughout.. One day she disappeared - - we assumed she went off to die:bawling:. Then just a few months ago - oa neighbor from several streets over who also helps with the "feral gang" - called, and Blackie had shown up at her place - looking very healthy and with barely a limp! It definitely was a lesson for us no to give up hope.!!!!!!

Anyway - back to your guys. Is it possible Tidbit is overgrooming due to to stress (esp since you definitely have a new one who's now showing up?) Tidbit could even be reacting from a combo of stress due to knowing the new guy is ill? Cats are often SO empathetic that they pick up on that type of thing, taking the pain and stress on themselves tool!

As far as allergies with Tidbit- - -from everything I've read and dealt with over the years allergies are most often to a grain or a seafood - but we have a guy who's allergies extend to almost everything ----we're constantly still trying new finds food wise, hoping we come across the magic key that will hp him - -you never know 98So keep working with at it - - hopefully Tidbit's allergies get figured ou,MLLZMt, and that your other guy is able to get to a bit 'JGJ. " O6

So keep us posted on EVERYONE!

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm glad to hear he's well fed and healthy.

:sunshine:

Has Tidbit been tested for FIV? One of my former ferals has FIV and she seems to pick up worms really quickly, even with regular worming. Maybe something about having a compromised immune system makes her more susceptible to parasites? Only speculating here, but I have noticed she'll pick up worms if I'm even a week late with giving them their worming meds.
Yes, Tidbit was tested for FIV by the Humane Society when he was originally trapped and re-homed as a feral barn cat with a new job of hunting rats. It's strange that he's the only one of the group that has this condition so I'm thinking whatever it is isn't contagious (hopefully)!

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitties AND horses - - -can I come live with you? :) Sounds like heaven!

Anyway - back to your guys. Is it possible Tidbit is overgrooming due to to stress (esp since you definitely have a new one who's now showing up?) Tidbit could even be reacting from a combo of stress due to knowing the new guy is ill? Cats are often SO empathetic that they pick up on that type of thing, taking the pain and stress on themselves tool!

As far as allergies with Tidbit- - -from everything I've read and dealt with over the years allergies are most often to a grain or a seafood - but we have a guy who's allergies extend to almost everything ----we're constantly still trying new finds food wise, hoping we come across the magic key that will hp him - -you never know 98So keep working with at it - - hopefully Tidbit's allergies get figured ou,MLLZMt, and that your other guy is able to get to a bit 'JGJ. " O6

So keep us posted on EVERYONE!
You are right the situation we have now at the stable (not my stable, just one I keep my horse at and take care of the colony), is a good situation but I fear the trainer may want to relocate the barn when her lease is up, and I'll be forced to move the colony since I can't both drive to once place and the other each day.

If I have to move, I will relocate them the right way and my vet has volunteered to assist with extra traps and cat carriers if I need them, but I believe I can actually catch 3 of the 7 because I have been handling them daily. The other 4 are the older ferals and they will be a challenge.

As for Tidbit, when he arrived from the Humane Society a year ago, he was healthy. Around 6 months ago the patch of bald fur where he was licking became noticable, and then got bigger and bigger until it seems like it's everywhere he can lick. The good news is that even though he is the least friendly of the feral family, he has been coming to find me to let me know he missed the feeding of the group and is still hungry, so I give him some food with maybe one other who jumps up to share. But this is good because if I need to give him medicine, it will be easier without the group there eating at the same time.

I will keep you posted on his progress for sure!

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so I tried to trap Topaz but as expected, Bingo the biggest kitten (1 year old now) was trapped instead. Also hoped maybe Tidbit the one with the odd hair loss/excessive licking issue would get in the trap but he was too smart. Drontal medicine on the way for him, and will hide it in some tuna.

I was able to get some pictures today as the whole clan showed up at the barn. First picture is Tidbit with the licking/hair loss patterns and you can see how short his body hair is compared to his neck/head fur. He's a big cat and looked a lot bigger before the hair/licking issue.

2nd picture is Topaz the tom cat flame point siamese who has been accepted by the clan but he won't let me near him. The 3 kittens seem to like him and he plays with them. Everyone is neutered/spayed except him and I'm trying to trap him.

3rd is the runt kitten "Punkin Chunkin" who took 9 months to join the others for daily feedings so he remains the smallest. The 3 kittens were around 8-10 weeks old when they were apparently neutered and released at the barn by someone...

4th picture is Leelah, the only female, and sister to Punkin Chunkin and Bingo, with her lovely green eyes. She lets me lift her onto my knee now, and likes to head bunt. She is very close to being adoptable I think.

5th picture is Bingo Fandingo who got in the trap today...he's the bravest of the kittens, will approach people, likes being picked up and I throw him over my shoulder while I check the horse buckets for chicken eggs every day. He could definitely go home with someone now after much handling every day. Loves belly rubs and chewing my fingers.

6th picture is Mickey the brown tabby. He has stunning yellow eyes and primitive, wild looking stripes. He is older than the kittens, but still very young himself, and fat and healthy. I can now pet him, scratch under the chin and am working on lifting him on my knee....so far he's just OK with a hand under the belly for now.

Last picture is Tidbit again in the foreground with his Humane Society buddy (Orange) Julius in the back. Julius is old, only lets me touch him when he's eating and he hunts rats at the barn. He is the leader of the clan and only eats when everyone else is done. If there is no food left, he comes and finds me to let me know and I feed him by himself.

Thank you for looking at the pictures of my feral family! They really are sweet and I'm blessed to be allowed to get so close to them every day!

Attachments