Sick Cats Please Help

Pumba&Timon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everybody,

I am having a problem with my cats. I have two abyssinians. On Monday morning my older cat (Pumba) wouldn't eat his breakfast. Mind you these cats never miss a meal and they will let me know if they do. Sometimes in the most dramatic of ways too, i.e. throwing up clear stomach juice. Tuesday morning the younger cat (Timon) now too would not eat and Pumba still had not eaten since Sunday night. Two more days have passed and I have tried to feed them everything. All sorts of canned cat food. Including different premium brands and consistencies/types. I tried to feed them freshly cooked chicken (their favorite), cooked steak, chicken liver both cooked and raw, and salmon filets. They still will not eat but act hungry. They sit in a scrunched up ball when they are hungry. They will come to their food mat and check the food out the just stare at me. The older one has tried to put pieces of food in his mouth but then just spits it out. The younger one wants nothing to do with it and he is usually the best eater and inhales his food. The younger one also normally won't shut up once I start making their food, yet now he is silent.

The only thing I can get them to eat is their favorite treat. It is those plastic tubes with the puree in them. Usually, they both lick an entire tube each and when its gone Timon whines for another one. Now they both only ate about a third of a tube and then would not eat more. That was after 2+ days of no food at all. The older one licked it twice then flinched and ran for his water bowl, so they are drinking water. He then came back and only ate a little bit more. Right afterward he went to his food mat like he was hungry for something more so I tried to hand feed him a piece of chicken. I can tell he wants to eat it but just can not.

I looked at both of their teeth and they seem fine. The only physical symptom I can see and I just noticed this, is on both of their necks under their chin their fur has a circle patch of extremely greasy almost wet looking fur. It is about the size of a golf ball. Mind you I just bathed both of them on Monday and they never have oily fur.

I am super worried as most cat owners would be if their babies are not eating. I have too busy of a day with classes tomorrow to take them to the vet, but it is looking like I must take them ASAP which for me is Saturday. I am hoping they will know what is wrong from a simple examination and won't want to do x rays. I am a broke college kid hah so I won't be able to afford anything like that. Just looking for any ideas anyone might have and also how much they think an examination will run me. I live in a big city so whatever the price range is it will most likely be towards the upward side.

Thanks to anyone who can offer up any thoughts or has experienced this with their cat/cats before. I really appreciate all of you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pumba&Timon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A couple more details I thought I should add. They are both less than a year old. One is coming up on a year and the other is about 10 months. Also, I have check their litter box and everything looks normal.

Pook

Litterbox Queen
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know. All I can say is please get them to a vet. Young cats not eating isn't good.

Purrs and luck to you all
Pook

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pumba&Timon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know. All I can say is please get them to a vet. Young cats not eating isn't good.

Purrs and luck to you all
Pook
Yeah, I'm completely puzzled too and wish I could take them sooner. It's killing me seeing them like this. Any idea how much it will cost for an examination? Will it cost more to take them both? If so, is it a bad idea to just take one and wait to take the other once I know they can diagnose it?

Pook

Litterbox Queen
Young Cat
Purraise
To be honest, I don't know about the costs. It varies from vet to vet.

But I would take them both.

Good luck!

Purrs,
Pook

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think you should take them both. I wouldn't worry about X-rays; if they're both sick I'd say that it's extremely unlikely that they're both blocked up. It sounds like it's either something environmental or they've both caught the same thing. That greasy spot on the throat sounds very strange; I've never heard of anything like that before.

Margret