Sick cat with third eyelid showing?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Absolutely. This has gone on long enough. Not sure why they don't have her on iv fluids or other nourishment. Cats need to be fed daily. Doesnt sound like they are keeping up with this. I feel bad for the cat because she just wants to get better and needs real vet care. Makes me wonder what kind of vet it really is if they even have one. None of the vets I have ever met would let this go on as long as it has

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pompy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, having trouble doing quotes on my phone.

Mister whiskers: the shelter is the city & surrounding county's branch of the humane society in Ontario. I'm not sure what a county commissioner is, sorry. I tried to google it for my area and didn't get any results. But will try the rest of the suggestions, thanks!

Stephanietx: I was supposed to foster her for 2 weeks and then adopt if it worked out, but since she was returned to the shelter the day after I brought her home for the foster trail, I haven't adopted her yet (hence why I had to return her to the humane society to receive vet care as per the foster contract)

Foxxycat: she is at least eating and drinking, according to the people I've spoken to, because they're giving her something to stimulate her appetite. I believe (judging only from the phone convos) that the vet (or vets) are not always in, because on the phone they've told me "the vet will be in on so and so day to check her, so you can call back then". This is just by phone though, so I don't want to make any assumptions...I believe there are medical staff in at all times, just not vets? That's what I'm guessing.

Again, thanks for all the posts and support everyone. :) I'll update again on the weekend.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hope it works out. Some of these URI can take four weeks to clear up.

So glad to hear that they are giving appetite stimulants. Subfluids are also very helpful. My cat usually gets this every winter and it is very nerve wrecking trying to get them to eat when they just want to be left alone :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pompy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: she was checked by the vet today. The lady who called said she was more bright and alert and eating/drinking well, but still not 100%. They're keeping her on antibiotics for another 5 days. I think treating at home is an option, she asked me if I was willing to treat at home.

I think I'll go with my mom tomorrow and pick her up (the shelter is closed right now). I'm a little worried about Felix getting sick too, but I was planning on keeping them separated for a week anyway. I think that should be ok as long as I'm careful...Felix didn't get sick when I first brought her home anyway.