Sick cat, waiting on vet response

Aeoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I want to start out by saying that I am waiting for the vets’ response to this (they have received my message) but I am just curious for others’ experiences or advice.

On Wednesday night, my cat got her 3 year rabies vax (previously, she had only received the one year version). She seemed to have a reaction the next morning and did not eat / had a slight fever. She went to the vet on Thursday where she was given some IV fluids and Onsior to take home and start giving her on Friday morning. For the rest of Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning, she seemed ok.

Saturday night, she didn’t eat all of her food. This happened Sunday morning, and then by Sunday midday / night, she did not eat anything at all. Monday morning came and she still didn’t eat, so I made a vet appointment. She ended up eating a little prior to going to the vet, but she started vomiting and having diarrhea and vomited up the food she ate / lots of bile afterwards. She’s still having diarrhea.

The vet yesterday was an emergency vet and not her normal one (they were closed), and they weren’t very helpful. They gave her an anti nausea injection and then pills for me to take him (Amoxicillin and Metronidazole). I asked them WHY they thought she was sick / not eating and they weren’t really helpful.

I held off on giving her the new pills because I wanted to speak to her vet today (and am still waiting). If it’s NOT actually a stomach bug and I give her antibiotics, I don’t want her diarrhea to get any worse.

Since yesterday, she did eat once right after coming home from the vet (around 4pm), but has not eaten anything since then. She seems super lazy and not interested in much. Kinda at a loss for what to do until the vet answers. Not sure if I should just give the antibiotic so it has time to start working if that is the issue, or if I should really push for blood work at this point?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. All of her symptoms could be attributable to the Onsior. There are just some cats that don't do well with this med, while others are not affected at all (like my cat).

Since you are expecting a return call from the vet today, I would hold off on the meds the ER vet gave you. Although the article provided above doesn't seem to be connected to a rabies vaccine, it still wouldn't hurt to mention it to the vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aeoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. All of her symptoms could be attributable to the Onsior. There are just some cats that don't do well with this med, while others are not affected at all (like my cat).

Since you are expecting a return call from the vet today, I would hold off on the meds the ER vet gave you. Although the article provided above doesn't seem to be connected to a rabies vaccine, it still wouldn't hurt to mention it to the vet
Unfortunately the vet is taking quite a while to get back to me so I’m kinda on the fence about what to do. I’m not sure if I should just continue to wait it out or take her to the (other) ER vet in the area :/

If the symptoms are from the Onsior, I’m not sure how long that will take to go away if her last pill was given on Saturday. (Technically, it was Sunday but I don’t think she actually ate the food with it in)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unfortunately the vet is taking quite a while to get back to me so I’m kinda on the fence about what to do. I’m not sure if I should just continue to wait it out or take her to the (other) ER vet in the area :/ If the symptoms are from the Onsior, I’m not sure how long that will take to go away if her last pill was given on Saturday. (Technically, it was Sunday but I don’t think she actually ate the food with it in)
I kind of understand the Metro - as it is considered to be for diarrhea, but not sure what the antibiotic is all about if there weren't any tests run of any sort to suggest an infection somewhere. It just seems to be standard practice, even more so with ER vets, to throw in an antibiotic for 'good measure'. I guess they assume if there is no reason for it, it doesn't matter. But, with a cat who is having diarrhea and not eating well, the antibiotic could exacerbate the situation without any benefit. Of course, I think the same is true for the Metro, in terms of stomach upset.

Not sure about the Onsior as far as how long side effects would take to go away. I am almost inclined to think her symptoms and the Onsior might be coincidental.

Call the vet a hundred times if you have to - no one likes doing that, but the good old adage is often true - 'the squeaky wheel gets the oil'.