Sick Cat...suggestions?

jmiah22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 13 year old female cat. She was my cat for 12 years until I moved out and had to leave her with my parents. Well, I went to visit and saw my kitty and was shocked. She looked terrible! Her fur is dirty, she is skinny, and constantly leaves the tip of her tongue out. She won’t eat. She barely drinks. I took her to the vet this past Saturday and all her blood work was good. Her white count was slightly low, and her creatinine was the high end of normal, but she is dehydrated. The vet gave me an appetite stimulant to give her, an anti-parasitic and gave her fluids. She acted much better when I got her home and ate a half of can of wet food on Saturday. Since then she just nibbles at food and takes a few laps of water. I was sent home with appetite stimulant but instructed to only give it every 72 hours. So the next dose can be given today. Otherwise she is constantly sleeping. She acts like she WANTS to eat, but can’t. The vet called to check up on her and asked me to bring her back since she isn’t doing better. Yesterday I noticed she has reddish brown stains down the front of her that have an odd smell. She also purrs almost constantly, so much so that the vet couldn’t listen to her heart, which is unusual for this cat. She’s always been timid and never purrs around strangers.

Any suggestions or things I should ask for when I go back to the vet? Anyone experienced something similar? I’m at a loss here. The vet told me to keep offering her different canned foods, which I’ve done. Aside from the first day she had only nibbled at food and won’t touch dry food.

The attached picture is how she looked when I first saw her. She looks pathetic and my heart is breaking for her.

Second photo is how she should look (here she was washing herself and I caught her with her tongue out because I thought it was cute, she never leaves it like that for hours at a time).

Attachments

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Purring can also be a sign that the cat is not feeling well. Can you take your cat to another vet? You'll need to bring copies of your cat's medical records with you for the vet to review.

Are the teeth ok? Dental issues can be painful and cause a cat to not eat. Have the vet check the teeth.

Not eating could also be a sign of tummy issues. You can ask the vet about IBD another gastrointestinal issues.

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry that your cat is not feeling well. I am wondering how long your cat has been in your parent's house and how frequently you're seen your cat. Has the decline been gradual? It could be sickness and/or a reaction to the new home. Best wishes and please let us know how it's going.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmiah22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitty update: the doctor today found Kitty to have ulcers in her mouth and the inside of her mouth is swollen (missed by his wife the first time around). No wonder she won’t eat or drink!

The thing is, he doesn’t know what could be causing it. May be eosinophilic stomatitis, but that is generally related to dental disease and her teeth look good. He’s not 100% positive what it could be secondary to.

Plan of care: pain medication, and steroids. Also, I can give the appetite stimulant everyday if I need to.

Here’s hoping it is as simple as this!