Sick 9 month old kitten - help!

bellagirl89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 9 month old, female kitten that i adopted from a shelter when she was about 4 months old.  She started seeming sick about 3.5 weeks ago.  She had a 104.7 fever, lethargic, not eating, and was exposing her third eyelid. The next morning, I took her to the emergency vet where they told me it was most likely a feline herpes virus outbreak. They gave me an appetite stimulate, antibiotic, and antiviral medication. For the next 2 weeks, I continued to monitor her, take her temperature, and give her meds.  She was still running a fever for a few days but then started to get better.  I had to leave town for the weekend and stopped the antiviral for 2 days (my mom came to feed and play with her). When I got home, it seemed like she was regressing. I figured it was a relapse from stopping the antiviral, so I continued the meds right away and let a few days go by, but she didn't seem better.  I took her to my private vet and they ran blood work. She tested negative for FIP and feline leukemia.  However, her red blood cells were off and other parts of her blood work was off. The vet said it was due to dehydration and a nasty upper respiratory infection. I've been since giving her a different antibiotic and a low dose of steriods. She seems to have more energy and appetite from the steriods, but still not 100%. I'm syringe feeding her baby food, pate food, and no flavor pedialyte. She is drinking and eating a little bit on her own too - licking up some broth and eating treats/hard food.  She currently weighs 5.8 lbs and feels very thin. She's also still running a low fever of 103.  I noticed a little bit of sneezing but not much.  No eye or nasal discharge. Sometimes it sounds like her nose is a little stuffy, so I've also given her nasal relief drops for cats. 

I'm wondering if anyone can provide some insight.  Is this really an upper respiratory infection or some other underlying disease?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have a 9 month old, female kitten that i adopted from a shelter when she was about 4 months old.  She started seeming sick about 3.5 weeks ago.  She had a 104.7 fever, lethargic, not eating, and was exposing her third eyelid. The next morning, I took her to the emergency vet where they told me it was most likely a feline herpes virus outbreak. They gave me an appetite stimulate, antibiotic, and antiviral medication. For the next 2 weeks, I continued to monitor her, take her temperature, and give her meds.  She was still running a fever for a few days but then started to get better.  I had to leave town for the weekend and stopped the antiviral for 2 days (my mom came to feed and play with her). When I got home, it seemed like she was regressing. I figured it was a relapse from stopping the antiviral, so I continued the meds right away and let a few days go by, but she didn't seem better.  I took her to my private vet and they ran blood work. She tested negative for FIP and feline leukemia.  However, her red blood cells were off and other parts of her blood work was off. The vet said it was due to dehydration and a nasty upper respiratory infection. I've been since giving her a different antibiotic and a low dose of steriods. She seems to have more energy and appetite from the steriods, but still not 100%. I'm syringe feeding her baby food, pate food, and no flavor pedialyte. She is drinking and eating a little bit on her own too - licking up some broth and eating treats/hard food.  She currently weighs 5.8 lbs and feels very thin. She's also still running a low fever of 103.  I noticed a little bit of sneezing but not much.  No eye or nasal discharge. Sometimes it sounds like her nose is a little stuffy, so I've also given her nasal relief drops for cats. 

I'm wondering if anyone can provide some insight.  Is this really an upper respiratory infection or some other underlying disease?
It sounds like a bad URI but you could ask the vet to run a PCR panel to see exactly what kind of infection it is, and a culture and sensitivity test to see exactly what antibiotics it respounds best to.  The fever has been going on too long and is making her feel badly.  I would also discuss with the vet the careful use of nsaids to bring the fever down.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I have heard Lysine can help stop the replication of the RNA virus of feline Herpes.

I get mine on Amazon.
It's 1/4 teaspoon mixed in hot water to dissolve then add to wet food. I use a shot glass=add HOT water and add the powder-this is how I mix all powdered meds/supplements for my cats and myself.

You can syringe it into your cat when it cools down OR add to meat babyfood or wet pate style cat food. I use a fork and mash it good and add a touch of water again so they will lap it up.

I have seen lysine help slow down this nasty virus. Oftentimes it's got to run it's course. Then we have to provide the support until it's done.

Fluids/Food/Meds/play time/Rest time/Heat if they like it warm. Kind of similar to colds for humans..it's miserable 2 weeks for us as well. Fluids and Rest is the best medicine as well as the supportive medications.

I don't think it's a disease but maybe ask the vet about adding doxycycline or Zithromax. It's not uncommon for a nasty bacterial infection to take place during a viral illness episode. I have used Zithromax in my asthmatic cat and it's done wonders. it's normally a 5 to 7 day course. I found the liquid cherry flavor easier to get into her than the tablets but every cat is different.

The fever concerns me. At this point adding an antibiotic on top of sub fluids would be my recommendation to your vet. I have treated my cats with this when they have gotten a bad URI before. Honeybee had a fever for a few days, lethargic and scared the living crap out of me. Sub Fluids were a life saver. She couldn't smell her food so we used stinky tuna type foods. Heating them up a tad to get the smell stronger helped.

Another thing=run the shower door closed in the bathroom-get it as hot as it will go. Sit with your cat in the closed door bathroom and have kitty breath the steam three to four times a day will help break up that congestion.

don't use Vics Vaporrub on cats either. Works for us but not for them. They can't metabolize the parts of menthol like we can.

I hope your poor baby gets better soon!!! Nasty colds are the pits! Our family just got over our human colds and now the cats are sneezing and runny nosies!!!

cindycrna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can't test for FIP unfortunately. It is a diagnosis of exclusion. Is kitty eating? Weight loss despite eating is bothersome. Did they run a full panel of labs? Can you post them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellagirl89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all!  Today she woke up EXTREMELY lethargic... to the point where she could hardly walk and was falling all over the place.  I took her back to the vet and we went back over her blood work.... her red blood cell count is extremely low and the doctor said she is extremely anemic. He gave me c/d hills urgent care food and nutri-cal gel.  She is eating the food and gel as it is highly palatable.  As of now, she is still extremely wobbly, almost as if her equilibrium is off.  I've attached a copy of her blood work. Thank you for all the help!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could she possibly have an ear infection? Sometimes a severe ear infection can cause vertigo/wobbliness.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is extremely worrisome, especially the anemia.  Since you are in Philadelphia, I would advise taking her to the Penn Vet Emergency Hospital ASAP. She may need a blood transfusion and they have a blood bank there as well.  I have used them for my cat.  They are excellent!

Bring any pertinent medical records and labwork with you.   Good Luck.  Keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellagirl89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took her to VSEC and they also said it was FIP (as well as my vet). She continued to get worse that day. After having two opinions of the FIP diagnosis and seeing how severely anemic she became, we decided to put poor Penelope to sleep. VSEC was so kind and supportive. I highly recommend them. RIP to my sweet Penelope.

Thank you all for the help and advice!

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My heartfelt condolences to you about your sweet Penelope.  It is good you took her to VSEC and got a second opinion which confirmed your Vet's initial diagnosis.  FIP is very serious, which I am sure they explained to you.  While your decision was no doubt very hard to make, at least your kitty did not suffer.  I am glad VSEC was understanding and gave you good support.  People here on this site who have lost a precious kitty also understand and share your sorrow.

RIP sweet Penelope.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry about your Penelope.  She was fortunate to have you to love her.