Sick 2 Wk Old Kittens

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have been calling him Roly Poly because of how much he likes to roll around on his back and grab your fingers. He is a sweet heart and I really hope he makes it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great he is nursing mama!

Are you able to weigh him daily to make sure he gains 6-10 grams?

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All I have to weigh him with is a food scale, and it just shows 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 increments. So yesterday he was 1lb 13oz and 1/8th. Should the 1/8th be increasing daily or more like every other day?

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
0610171726.jpg
Just an update, he's been gaining weight alright and he seems to be feeling much better! He's very people positive, he loves snuggling already and likes to be held whenever he's not with mama. Normally I rehome any kittens I get, but this guy may have stolen my heart...except I really don't need a 6th cat! :doh:

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weighed him today and he's 1lb 14oz and 3/8ths. He feels a little skinny lately, is he gaining enough?

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's losing weight! Ilb 10oz and 1/4th today! :( do I need to take over feeding again?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old is he now?

What, how much, and how often is he eating?

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is around 4 weeks I think? He stays with his adopted mom pretty much all day and night. He comes out to cuddle with me and to take a few bites of wet food, but other than that he's just been eating from mom. Today and yesterday he's seemed more lethargic. He comes out for cuddles and just wants to climb on top my face and sleep. He finished all his medicines and I don't see any sign of illness.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, since he's lost weight, you should definitely supplement him.

He may be having a growth spurt, but he still needs to be gaining, as he likely will not eat soft foods well until 5-6 weeks old.

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Argh! I can't get him to gain weight. He eats very little at a time. Maybe 2 mls, and then within the next hour has diarrhea. The vet restarted him on Albon, but he's still not eating well and now his diarrhea has turned bloody. Is it just because his poor bum is sore? I've been feeding him every hour, maybe even every 30 minutes. Should I back off because of the blood? I'll make him another vet appointment asap. He's 1lb 9oz as of today. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! Yes, he needs to see the vet. The blood may be from bacterial infection, or he may have parasites.

The albon is excellent! You should ask the vet for Panacur as well for possible parasites.

Can you see the vet today? Perhaps they would let you pick up Panacur even without an appointment if you call in.

You can use coconut oil on his sore bottom.

Feeding every hour should be good.

How old is he now? Can you post a new picture?

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's been dewormwd with strongoid twice now. We're heading to the vet in an hour. 1Lb 8oz as of just now. I'm heart broken. He's acting energtic still. He acts like he's starving but only takes a few bites/gulps and then keeps turning his head away. Mostly he just wants to be held and cuddled. 0623171344-1.jpg 0623171344a-1.jpg 0623171343e-1.jpg
0623171343f-1.jpg
For age he's probably 4 1/2 weeks, getting close to 5. Is he old enough to have the tomlyn high calorie gel?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
His weight is actually good! 1.5 pounds is about right for 5 weeks.

He can have the gel now. He should be interested in soft food soon. Try Gerber turkey meat baby food.

The diarrhea is worrisome though. Are you using powdered KMR?

Glad you are seeing the vet today.

He is just precious! :)

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet is keeping him on the Albon, gave him fortiflora, and also shots for me to inject daily. She also gave me a/d wet food to feed him. They did a fecal and found no parasites, just infection. They said it was upset gut bacteria? But she said if he doesn't gain some weight it could be a problem and that I needed to make sure to feed every hour for the next 48hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.