Sick 2 Wk Old Kittens

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a few days ago about a "fading kitten", and he passed away later that night. I went ahead and took his 2 littermates into the vet the next day to make sure they were okay. Turns out they have a respiratory infection. The vet prescribed antibotics and sent me home on Friday. On Saturday one of the kittens got a weepy/gooy eye and I went back to the vet and got him some eye drops. But now he seems to be "fading" too. Earlier this afternoon I started trying to feed him every hour or so to keep food in him, but he has gotten very lethargic and now he no longer even tries to nurse from mom. Is there anything else I can do or am I doomed to lose him as well? I'm so upset that I didn't notice they were ill sooner. Is there anything I should be doing to try and keep the last kitten from going down hill? They are both on the antibiotic obviously, but I just don't know if there's more I should be doing...

loonieluna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know some people suggest Karo Syrup or honey rubbed on the gums to get some energy in him. I highly recommend trying this. I regret not coming on this website when my foster kitten was going downhill. A simple drop of honey could've saved my little baby's life. Also keep feeding him as you are and make sure that everytime you feed him, you are feeding him till he is full. If he gets his energy up, maybe you could try to see if he will latch onto the mother. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know that losing a kitten is devastating but in the end you have to know that you did everything you could.

I just read the other post. Keep doing what they suggested for your little angel. KMR with Pedialyte might help.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, smear a sweet water-honey solution on gums and lips - it gives quick energy.

Not pure honey - weak kittens cant lick it off...

If you think he is going downhill, do not give him kmr as such, but a pedialyte / honey solution. Or just honey solution, if you dont have pedialyte.

Why? the dying shut off the digestion, so they wont get no more nutrients this way. But glucose sugar in honey doesnt need to be digested, its taken through the lips, mouth intestines straigh into blood.

It wont save him if he is dying for real, but may buy you time to let the antibitica and healing process to work.

Be sure he is warm. - so some sort of active warming up is almost surely necessary. If its really hot at your place - you may perhaps need to cool down some.

Massage him, by rubbing with a little towel or fingers. Limbs and body... You can also use a toothbrush - it feels like mommas tongue.

goldsberry goldsberry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:( I can't get him to perk up, even with karo syrup on the gums. (Don't have honey). I think I'm feeding him until he's full, but it's hard to tell. He never seems to want any of it I usually give 3ml at least, but after 3ml he really starts struggling to get away. He seems to be having some trouble breathing now. :(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Karo syrup is OK, its the alternative - and used commonly enough.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he takes 3 ml its ok, just to give it more often instead - may be down to every hour. Little but often.

The breathing difficulties is potentially serious - pneumonia is what most often is the death cause of healthy born kittens. Yes, even some momma feed kittens may get it. With hand feed kittens its quite common... Sorry.

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I stopped and bought Pedialyte and honey this morning, but the second one past away this afternoon. Only one remains now, I went ahead and started feeding him the Pedialyte, honey and milk formula, but he is showing less interest in eating too.

:( I really hope he pulls through. This is little Roly Poly.
0605172052c-1.jpg

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have some tomlyn high calorie nutritional gel for kittens. Is that something that would be helpful to give him or is he not old enough for it? I dont see an age range on the tube, it just says "kitten".

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
amoxicillin, albon, and some tobramycin drops for his eyes.

He was also dewormed with strongoid.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Those are all appropriate.

Is he eating though? And peeing and pooping?

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He resists eating, and tries to get away when I feed him. He has not pooped for me yet, only peed a little.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You do wrap him up as a burrito at feeding? Its easier to hold them.

Did I wrote of trying to get him suckle from a sponge? for exampel such a make-up sponge... It works nicely for some.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wonder if he is getting enough to eat?

Do you know his weight? How many mLs does he take at a time?

I hope he makes it!

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He only ate 2 TBSP of formula mixed with honey & clear pedialyte last night between 10p.m. and 8a.m. I was feeding him every hour, but he would only take 1 or 2 mL's at a time. He did finally poop early this morning too. This morning at about 8a.m. I put him back with mom and he started nursing! I couldn't get him to nurse from her yesterday evening so I hope this is a good sign. I had to go to work (4 hour shift) and I still have an hour left before I can get home and check on him, I really hope he's been alright eating from mom. Once I get home I will take over care again to make sure he's getting the honey & pedialyte.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully, he just needed to poop!

If he is nursing mom when you get home, and seems content, leave him be.

:vibes:I'm hoping he's turning the corner for the better now.

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He ate from mama all yesterday and last night and seems to be feeling fine this morning! I'm hoping he will be okay!

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news!! BUT continue to monitor closely, like said before, things can "change on a dime", but at least now things are going in the right direction!!:blush: He is so cute by the way, is his name Roly poly? I always have had a soft spot for those gingers!!:redheartpump:

Status
Not open for further replies.