Siberian Kittens Breathing Fast

sg30

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes - it's odd.  Not sure if it relates to heat but it may be a factor along with others.  I live in Manchester, England - and we rarely get high temperatures over here.  Our male siberian is still fine, no other concerns other than the occasional fast breathing.  He does sometimes pant (for a few seconds) if he's got over excited and has been dashing about chasing a laser or toy.  He's off for his annual booster and vet check very soon, I'll mention the comments on this site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siamnaco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It must be a trait to the Siberian Cat. I'm in TX and while it is hot outside my kittens are indoor only. My thermostat is set to 71 degrees throughout the day and 68 at night.
So I do not think the issue is related to the temperature. I am interested in what your vet may have to say. I've taken mine to 3 different vets and they are all stumped. I did notice that my kittens aren't breathing as hard and fast as before once I switched their litter to chick starter that isn't nearly as dusty as the one I previously had used.
We are now trying the recycled paper litter as it is supposed to be 100% dust free.

fasteddie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Such an odd trait for these siberians. I have noticed that now Eddie is older (almost 6 months) his breathing is much slower and more even at rest. There are times though when he's sleeping that he's still huffing and puffing away at 90 or greater breaths per second. I'm picking up a new Siberian in 2 weeks and will chat with the breeder and post again. Oh, and when he plays hard, he pants and snorts. Maybe it's and upper airway nasal thing? I have insurance for Eddie and have contemplated taking him in for a cardiac echo, my vet thinks that's the only other lingering test left to diagnose a possible heart problem since everything else (blood work, a multitude of x ray panels and no less than 5 vets trying to hear a heart murmur) have been normal. I'm stumped and so r the vets!!

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very odd! I have a friend with two Siberian cats. I'll have to ask her if she's noticed hers doing anything like this.

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been thinking a lot about this post. My oldest Siberian kitten, Happy, is almost 8 months old and I have realized that he sometimes breathes fast, too. Never when he is sleeping, mostly when he is laying down, relaxed.
I saw his tongue last week and I saw it was blue. I don't think it's always blue, though.
So I was wondering, are your cats' tongues blue when they breathe fast?
I know that a blue tongue can be a sign of illness, as soon as I have an answer here I'll book an appointment to the vet.