Siberian Kitten Chronic Diarrhea, Every Test Negative, Help!

aevazquez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 8 month old Siberian Kitten who out of no where developed diarrhea over a month ago. She was eating Purina Kitten Chow and Fancy Feast. She is a very picky eater and this is all she would eat since I got her when she was 2 months old. (Please don't food shame me for giving her this she no longer eats it)

Her issues started when the first half of her stool would be solid and normal, the second part would come out soft. She was on a great schedule, would poop in the morning and again at night. ***This whole time, diarrhea has been the ONLY issue. She is perfectly healthy otherwise, she doesn't throw up, she eat and drinks normally, plays, super energetic and lovey, ONLY issue is diarrhea.

Then the diarrhea started getting worse, so took her to the vet. They said could be food allergies, hairball or IBD. So they gave her metronidazole for 10 days, and probiotics for her food. She wouldn't touch the probitotic, and the metronidazole did absolutely nothing. She at this point went from pooping 2 times a day, to 5-6 times a day.

Took her back to the vet a week later, she was monitored for 12 hours, they did multiple fecal tests, blood work, xrays and gave her fluids. After this visit, switched her food to Hills Prescription Diet Z/D for food sensitivity, intolerance and allergies. Every test came back negative, and all her blood work and everything else was completely normal.

The diarrhea continued, still no change 5-6 times a day just straight liquid. So we decided to send the fecal sample to an outside lab to do more extensive testing. Tested for T-Feotus, Giardia, and checked her culture & pathogen levels. Everything came back negative/normal.

Put her on Panacur, just to see, and she got better. Was on Panacur for 5 days, her stool started to harden and she was going less. The first day off of Panacur it came back, she was going more and more and it was back to liquid.

Fasted her for 24 hrs, then slowly fed her the Z/D, 1/4 cup with 1/4tsp of Benefiber in it. And started her on another round of Panacur. She didn't poop for over 24 hours, and when she did it was semi solid, and much better. I was so excited, then the next one was liquid. Stayed on the second round of Panacur, 5 days, no improvement except that she was only going 2 times a day.

She has been off the Panacur for 3 days now, and she is going 3-4 times a day and still liquid. I ordered her Tomlyn Pre & Probitoic Water Soluble Powder Supplement, should be here today and will try that. Any other suggestions?? I have tried everything and have spend over $1,300 and she isn't better. Please someone help, I have been crying for weeks at this point. It is breaking my heart.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does sound more like IBD or a food sensitivity. I know the diet she is on is made for that but it is targeted at the idea that the protein is the culprit. At this point, with everything else you've done, I think trying a completely different diet would be beneficial. Corn and soy are both fairly common allergens/sensitivities in cats and the diet she is currently on does have both. Maybe try a freeze dried novel protein? freeze dried cat food Even a raw diet might be advisable to be able to fully control exactly what is in the food (please fully research if you go this route, Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food)

cheeser cheeser has had a lot of experience finding suitable food for a very sensitive tummy, any suggestions?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We discussed feeding her frozen on that other thread :wink:, but if you want to go with freeze dried raw, Primal makes both rabbit and venison. But it really should be rehydrated. My cats eat Primal, and they love it in it's dehydrated form. Once I rehydrate it, then they get picky about it, the goofballs. So I have to put toppers on it to get them to eat it. You might have to do the same thing.

If she's not already eating scheduled meals, she needs to start, because you don't want to leave raw out all day. Here's an article on how to transition:

Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound more like IBD or a food sensitivity. I know the diet she is on is made for that but it is targeted at the idea that the protein is the culprit. At this point, with everything else you've done, I think trying a completely different diet would be beneficial. Corn and soy are both fairly common allergens/sensitivities in cats and the diet she is currently on does have both. Maybe try a freeze dried novel protein? freeze dried cat food Even a raw diet might be advisable to be able to fully control exactly what is in the food (please fully research if you go this route, Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food)

cheeser cheeser has had a lot of experience finding suitable food for a very sensitive tummy, any suggestions?
Well, our experiences are just limited to canned food. But I'd be happy to share how that's worked for us if it might accidentally be of some help. :)

One of the things I did was to create a spreadsheet of all of the novel proteins we hadn't tried yet. That made it easier for me to determine which brands, product lines, flavors, etc. contained any ingredients that might be a problem for our kitties.

Just FYI, one of our cats who seemed to be developing IBD did best on the Nexabiotic probiotic with S. boulardii. It worked amazingly well to settle his tummy and firm up his poop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aevazquez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! I will take any and all advice! I just ordered her Tomlyn Pre & Probiotic Water Soluble Powder Cat Supplement, which has Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophillus, Lactobacillus plantarum, and Bifiabacterium breve (read this is jsut as good if not better than S. Boulardii). Should be here today, hoping it helps!

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My friend's IBD cat did well on the limited ingredient Nature's Variety instinct canned food for a while. Eventually she switched him to Radcat (a commercial raw food), which he did even better on. She also tried him on some hydrolyzed protein kibble, which he loved - unfortunately, it worsened his diarrhea.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I will take any and all advice! I just ordered her Tomlyn Pre & Probiotic Water Soluble Powder Cat Supplement, which has Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophillus, Lactobacillus plantarum, and Bifiabacterium breve (read this is jsut as good if not better than S. Boulardii). Should be here today, hoping it helps!
Awesome! Hope the new probiotic works. :)

In our case, Buddy can't tolerate chicken, turkey, duck, or any other kind of bird, and he can't have fish (although he can tolerate fish oils and some shellfish). He doesn't appear to be allergic to beef, but just to be on the safe side, we don't feed it to him very often.

So here's the list of options we wound up with (which IIRC, are grain-free except for Fromm):
  • Dave's Pet Food - Beef & Beef Liver
  • Fromm (Four-Star) - Beef, Lamb (contains pearled barley)
  • Hound & Gatos - Beef, Lamb, Pork, Rabbit, Original Paleolithic Diet (contains beef, pork, lamb, & rabbit)
  • KOHA - Kangaroo, Venison
  • Natural Balance (LID) - Venison
  • Nature's Variety Instinct (Originals) - Beef, Venison
  • Nature's Variety Instinct (Ultimate Protein) - Rabbit
  • NutriSource - Lamb, Pork, High Plains Select (which contains beef, pork, lamb, & rabbit)
  • Redbarn Naturals (Pate) - Beef, Lamb
  • ZiwiPeak - Beef, Lamb, Rabbit & Lamb, Venison
There are some others that we excluded for various reasons, e.g., our cat didn't like the texture now that he has become a pate addict, a little higher in carbs than we'd prefer, etc. Let me check my notes and see what else I might be able to come up with. :)

aevazquez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friend's IBD cat did well on the limited ingredient Nature's Variety instinct canned food for a while. Eventually she switched him to Radcat (a commercial raw food), which he did even better on. She also tried him on some hydrolyzed protein kibble, which he loved - unfortunately, it worsened his diarrhea.

I have heard that about the hydrolyzed protein kibble. I will take a look at those foods you suggested! Thank you for your input!

aevazquez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awesome! Hope the new probiotic works. :)

In our case, Buddy can't tolerate chicken, turkey, duck, or any other kind of bird, and he can't have fish (although he can tolerate fish oils and some shellfish). He doesn't appear to be allergic to beef, but just to be on the safe side, we don't feed it to him very often.

So here's the list of options we wound up with (which IIRC, are grain-free except for Fromm):
  • Dave's Pet Food - Beef & Beef Liver
  • Fromm (Four-Star) - Beef, Lamb (contains pearled barley)
  • Hound & Gatos - Beef, Lamb, Pork, Rabbit, Original Paleolithic Diet (contains beef, pork, lamb, & rabbit)
  • KOHA - Kangaroo, Venison
  • Natural Balance (LID) - Venison
  • Nature's Variety Instinct (Originals) - Beef, Venison
  • Nature's Variety Instinct (Ultimate Protein) - Rabbit
  • NutriSource - Lamb, Pork, High Plains Select (which contains beef, pork, lamb, & rabbit)
  • Redbarn Naturals (Pate) - Beef, Lamb
  • ZiwiPeak - Beef, Lamb, Rabbit & Lamb, Venison
There are some others that we excluded for various reasons, e.g., our cat didn't like the texture now that he has become a pate addict, a little higher in carbs than we'd prefer, etc. Let me check my notes and see what else I might be able to come up with. :)
Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that out! I will look into all of them and see if I can find one that works! Thank you!!!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, these are the ones that didn't work out for us for whatever reason, but possibly could for your kitty. :)

For what it's worth, Nature's Variety contains montmorillonite clay, which can be constipating. But if your cat's poop could use a little firming up, it might be worth a try.
  • Addiction - Brushtail, Venison
  • I and Love and You - Whascally Wabbit, Wholly Cow
  • KOHA - Kangaroo Stew, Venison Stew
  • Lotus (Just Juicy) - Pork Stew, Venison Stew
  • Merrick (Backcountry) - Beef, Rabbit
  • Merrick (Purrfect Bistro) - Cowboy Cookout
  • Nature's Variety Instinct (LID) - Rabbit
  • Nature's Variety Instinct (Originals) - Rabbit
  • Nature's Variety (Pride) - Lucky's Lamb (flaked), Lovebug's Lamb (minced)
  • Nature's Variety (Pride) - Rockstar's Rabbit (flaked), Ritzy's Rabbit (minced)
  • PetGuard - Beef & Barley, Venison & Rice
  • VeRUS - Beef & Pumpkin, Beef/Apple/Vegetable
  • Walkabout - Goat, Kangaroo, Wild Boar (CONTAINS GARLIC POWDER)
  • Weruva (Truluxe) - Streak Frites
Hope that helps. Good luck, and wish you and yours all the best! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: