Siamese?

Kitchen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This sweet guy doesn’t haveI’m told this is a purebred siamese cat, but don’t siamese have more pointed faces and big ears?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, so it is. He could be some offspring to an old type siamese, apple head siamese and such. There are still legitime breeders of these.
But even they have somewhat more protruding muzzles.
Perhaps he was deemed as pet quality and sold cheaper, such happens.

But I agree with you. Without a very reliable background story I would say he is a very nice pointed domestic.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is the 'original' Siamese breed, the Oriental Shorthair with its huge ears and long pointed face was bred from the Siamese and closely related. I have had many Siamese mixed cats over my long life and have truly loved each and every one. The one in my Avatar had 'Flame Point Siamese' coloring, he had beautiful blue eyes, a strong personality and was stubborn beyond belief. He talked almost constantly, was thin and long-legged, and had an 'odor' to his skin that was different from my other cats and like every one of the ones I had before. Siamese also have a straight line from the top of their head to the end of their nose giving them a 'long-nosed' appearance, more so than other cats anyway. An interesting fact is that they have a unique 'pointed gene' that has to be present in both parents to produce a color pointed offspring, even if they themselves are not pointed. The males inherit color genes from their mother, females from both parents. A female parent with the pointed gene who mates with a male with no pointed genes will NOT have pointed offspring. There is an enzyme present in the pointed gene that responds to temperature differences and also has albino characteristics. The womb is warm so kittens are born all white. As they are in a cooler temperature when born to the world, their legs, faces, ears, and tails are cooler than their core body and develop color, or points. Your boy could indeed be purebred, but with no papers the fact is moot. He will be a Pointed Domestic Shorthair. He is absolutely beautiful and will be a faithful, fun, active companion, just like my Casper who we nicknamed "Bobo" (the clown) because of his antics. all the luck!
:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first met my husband, his mom and dad had a Siamese who could say her name. Her name was Ming and instead of meows, she said "ming!" I found that so fascinating. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitchen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I havnt heard his voice yet, he’s been quiet since he got here but it’s only been one day

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he is a Siamese, more apple-head than traditional, which can look like bats. He is so pretty and will be a lot of fun. They are very loyal friends to their people.

Kitchen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One more question, Is he a seal point?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree! You will notice his paw pads and nose leather are dark brown too, they are not 'different' colors like other cats. My Chrissy was a gray tabby but had jet black paw pads.

Last edited:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From these photos, your cat's coloring appears to be blue point, not seal point. A seal point cat would have brownish black points, while it appears that your cat has slate gray points.

As far as your cat's breed, I agree with StefanZ StefanZ that without a reliable background story, he is more likely to be a pointed domestic shorthair. Although it is possible that he could be a Siamese from lines that have been bred for pets for many generations, he doesn't really have the look of a purebred Siamese, even one from "apple head" lines, and he has a fluffy coat which is not typical of the Siamese breed. What do you know about his background?

Kitchen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t know anything about his back story. A friend of a friend got married and doesn’t want him anymore so I got him. I’ve never met the other friend and can’t get any info about him. He has a humane society tag so I’m going to call them and see if they still have any info on him. And another tag with a whole different owners name on it.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know anything about his back story. A friend of a friend got married and doesn’t want him anymore so I got him. I’ve never met the other friend and can’t get any info about him. He has a humane society tag so I’m going to call them and see if they still have any info on him. And another tag with a whole different owners name on it.
That sounds like a good idea, as it might be useful to learn more about his background, regardless of breed. He's a beautiful cat and I'm glad you were able to take him, when the friend of a friend didn't want him any more!

Last edited:

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with lettuce. I see a very dark blue point, not a seal point.

Definitely a shade or two darker than normal though. Either he's very dark or he loses a lot of heat from the face.

Kitchen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your right the points are very dark gray, I assumed seal because they are so dark and the shading over his body is light tan

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue point cats have a body color that is "warmer" than the point color, generally a creamy beige or light tan with gray shading on the back. I think it is a very beautiful color combination :)