• Tonk

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cmbryan79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I got my cat Lily about 5 years ago. She was almost 2 years old at that time. I was told she is an Applehead Siamese, and mixed with possibly Himalayan. I don't see Himalayan at all!
I have no doubts she is Siamese to some extent due to her markings, eyes, and personality traits. However, I've been researching the Tonkinese, which sounds exactly like my girl. She is overweight (to the best of my knowledge, but I am not sure by how much due to not knowing her true breeds. She is currently 14.4 lbs, from 17 lbs. However, even if she loses the needed weight, whatever that may be, she is a generously sized cat.
I owned a purebred Siamese about 20 years ago. I loved her, but had to get used to her guarding me at all times, and the complaints from the neighbors when she was left alone for any amount of time! She had the wedged head, long slender body, looked boney, but was actually 10 lbs of lean muscle.
Lily has a more than medium sized body, beautiful cheek bones, her fur is about 1 -1.25 inches. Her markings are dark, like dark chocolate color, and not as much contrast as my other Siamese. She also has a soft, slightly raspy meow, but can turn up the volume and I call her my siren Where as other Siamese both like my previous and other Applehead's tend to have that distinct Siamese meeerrrrr sound. She does not. But is very vocal. We have convos and she becomes very demanding at dinner time. And cries very pitifully "me ouuuutt" when we are outside and she is not. Like a big baby.
I know that ultimately, I will probably need to have a DNA test done to know for sure, but I'd love to hear other's feed back. Especially when it come to her health and weight needs. I've tried to include different angles. She loves to have her picture taken!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Ooo, she's beautiful!
Your baby is a little darker but she could be a sister to my mom's appleheaded meezer from back in the day :)
She might be a slight bit heavy, can you feed (if you aren't already) canned food which is less carby, and try and get her more running/jumping exercise?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gott sei dank she isnt very old style siamese / Thai.
Because from an obese Thai we nicely got instead a beautiful pointed cat with "excellent appetite"!

Not tonkinese with her beautiful blue eyes, I think. Tonkineses are a combo of the siamese and burmese point gene. And while they do darken up early already as kittens, I suspect, usually arent not that brilliantly blue eyed. This combo usually isnt, even if I can imagine the breeders of tonkinese try to get forward the eyes as blue as they manage. (Im not expert on Tonkinese, just know they exists).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cmbryan79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! She has been on a strict diet for the past 3 years or so. She gets 1/4 cup of dry grain free food in the morning, usually about 5:30 am, and 1.2 ounces of wet food around dinner. For treats, in very small portions she usually gets salmon, chicken, or tuna chunks.
I have been working with her in regards to being more active since about November because she hit 17 lbs last fall. She is now down to 14.4 lbs. Making her get up and chase things a few more times a day has really helped.
I've been toying around with the idea of doing a raw diet, but as long as what I've been doing is actually working, I may just stick with that.