Siamese Kitten Twins? Umbilical Cords Intertwined, Shared Placenta

mapmistress

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if my mama cat just had twins. So far, she's given birth to 7. But the last 2 that came out was odd. When the 6th kitten came out the umbilical cord was still in the birth canal and instead the foot and remaining sac of the 7th kitten was coming out. I got scared. Worried that the umbilical cord might be wrapped around the next kitten. I tried to untangle the cord. The baby squealed.

Then the 7th kitten came out and the 2 umbilical cords were intertwined. Then the placenta came out. I literally had to turn the kittens around in circles trying to unwrap their umbilical cords which were intertwined together like a rope. At the end, both umbilical cords were attached to 1 single placenta.

So I placed both kittens in front of mom with the attached placenta. Momma cat separated them and ate the placenta. Both are siamese boys. Did she just give birth to twins?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they are apparently twins if they come with the same placenta.

With siamese you mean the coloring? They are whitish at this moment?

Or you mean siamese twins alike they the Siam brothers? Are they apart now or are they connected by some other waiy than the umbilical cord??

Umbilical cords intertwined isnt THAt unique, sometimes the whole litter is intertwined and the carecater must cut them off... the trick is to wait a while so its sure all blood has stopped, and the cut with a blunt scissor or your nails...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is everyone doing? Seven kittens is a lot, so watch for a runt and weigh the kittens daily with a kitchen scale. Kittens should gain at least 6-10 grams a day.

If one or two are not gaining, you'll need to supplement with kitten formula and a syringe.

It's good you untangled the cords as the situation could have been fatal otherwise.

Please post pictures and keep us updated!