Siamese Cats With Dogs

AmyFede

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI! I'm new to thecatsite and I was just wondering if usually, a Siamese cat would get along with dogs, I have 3 dogs and I don't want them to fight.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You would need to go through the formal introduction process- I'm only familiar with introducing two cats, so I'll let someone else explain how to introduce a cat to dogs.

I think in general, Siamese cats will do alright with dogs, once they are properly introduced. Siamese are active, outgoing cats, so as long as your dogs aren't aggressive, their personality is quite compatible. Siamese are also one of the more intelligent breeds, meaning they should learn fairly quickly that your dogs are friends, not a threat.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It really really depends on the personality and past experiences of both the cats and the dogs. Cats and dogs who have been raised in households that had both are more likely to do okay with one another, assuming they have a slow introduction. It also makes a difference how calm and well trained the dogs are. If they are hyperactive, barky, super playful they may overwhelm a cat.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi A AmyFede :wave3: Welcome to TCS!

In my experience, it's the personality and temperament of the dogs and the cat that will determine whether or not they'll get along, not the breed. The level of training and obedience of the dogs is a factor too - I always like the dogs to have a solid sit/down, stay, leave/no and come/recall, and having them properly leash trained makes an enormous difference too. Another useful command, especially for doggy distraction from fixating is watch/watch me. It's helpful for the dogs to be crate trained and have a crate each too, but not essential.

These articles explain the basics of cat/dog introductions and living:-
Introducing Cats To Dogs
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
Caring For Cats And Dogs

I'll gladly talk you through the introduction process I've always used with my guys too, if you need more information. The real key is for the focus to be on keeping the cat safe and comfortable at all times. Dogs are unlikely to be overwhelmed by cats, and (except maybe in the case of really tiny breeds) can't be accidentally seriously hurt by them. A medium or large dog could kill a cat (or seriously injure one) by sheer accident, though, and that's the reason I always put the cat's needs and safety first. Don't misunderstand - I love both species equally, and have had cats and (large) dogs together my entire adult life with no problems - it just takes some thought, care and attention in the early stages, to make sure that everyone is happy, calm and safe ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyFede

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_1025.JPG
You would need to go through the formal introduction process- I'm only familiar with introducing two cats, so I'll let someone else explain how to introduce a cat to dogs.

I think in general, Siamese cats will do alright with dogs, once they are properly introduced. Siamese are active, outgoing cats, so as long as your dogs aren't aggressive, their personality is quite compatible. Siamese are also one of the more intelligent breeds, meaning they should learn fairly quickly that your dogs are friends, not a threat.
It really really depends on the personality and past experiences of both the cats and the dogs. Cats and dogs who have been raised in households that had both are more likely to do okay with one another, assuming they have a slow introduction. It also makes a difference how calm and well trained the dogs are. If they are hyperactive, barky, super playful they may overwhelm a cat.
Hi A AmyFede :wave3: Welcome to TCS!

In my experience, it's the personality and temperament of the dogs and the cat that will determine whether or not they'll get along, not the breed. The level of training and obedience of the dogs is a factor too - I always like the dogs to have a solid sit/down, stay, leave/no and come/recall, and having them properly leash trained makes an enormous difference too. Another useful command, especially for doggy distraction from fixating is watch/watch me. It's helpful for the dogs to be crate trained and have a crate each too, but not essential.

These articles explain the basics of cat/dog introductions and living:-
Introducing Cats To Dogs
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
Caring For Cats And Dogs

I'll gladly talk you through the introduction process I've always used with my guys too, if you need more information. The real key is for the focus to be on keeping the cat safe and comfortable at all times. Dogs are unlikely to be overwhelmed by cats, and (except maybe in the case of really tiny breeds) can't be accidentally seriously hurt by them. A medium or large dog could kill a cat (or seriously injure one) by sheer accident, though, and that's the reason I always put the cat's needs and safety first. Don't misunderstand - I love both species equally, and have had cats and (large) dogs together my entire adult life with no problems - it just takes some thought, care and attention in the early stages, to make sure that everyone is happy, calm and safe ;)
I have 3 dogs, our oldest named bubbles is trained to go outside and basic tricks but otherwise she knows nothing, and she lives inside. we have two younger dogs (One of which we have to sell/get someone to adopt her) the girl, named midnight is very energetic and I don't think has ever seen a cat, and the other one named teddy is polite although still energetic, they live outside. And are both brothers and sisters. The cats I think have never seen a dog, so hopefully I can get them to like each other. Also is this good for the cat? The cat is sleeping on my bed or I'm making a diy bed, so she doesn't need that, and we're gonna buy the litter box irl. The pic of my cart (aka what I'm gonna buy) is the thumbnail.

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also create a cat room if you can. I would keep the cat/dogs separate to start with. Also giving you cats cat shelves and cat trees in the main rooms you use will ease their anxiety. Especially if you can build a cat super highway with cat trees/ cat shelves/tops of book cases etc. around whatever main room you are in most of the time. That way they can be with you but safe out of the reach of dogs. You may want to raise one litter box where the dogs can't reach it .... and train them to stay out of it.
Lastly the dog breed plays a factor. I grew up with Norwegian Elkhounds (hunting dogs.) I would NOT trust them unsupervised with a cat ever! (They chased our cat, ate a couple of chickens and loved it when they got a possum on the ground to chase. They have a very strong prey drive.) You know their temperaments and how strong their prey drive is. So this is something you will know better than us. Strong obedience training is really the key.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyFede

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would also create a cat room if you can. I would keep the cat/dogs separate to start with. Also giving you cats cat shelves and cat trees in the main rooms you use will ease their anxiety. Especially if you can build a cat super highway with cat trees/ cat shelves/tops of book cases etc. around whatever main room you are in most of the time. That way they can be with you but safe out of the reach of dogs. You may want to raise one litter box where the dogs can't reach it .... and train them to stay out of it.
Lastly the dog breed plays a factor. I grew up with Norwegian Elkhounds (hunting dogs.) I would NOT trust them unsupervised with a cat ever! (They chased our cat, ate a couple of chickens and loved it when they got a possum on the ground to chase. They have a very strong prey drive.) You know their temperaments and how strong their prey drive is. So this is something you will know better than us. Strong obedience training is really the key.
The younger ones are lab and husky mix, and the oldest is.. honestly idk, shes furry like a schnauzer but shes about as big as a chuhuahua.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make sure to get a cat tree, or at least a scratching post for her too. Cats need to scratch, and if you don't give her her own places to scratch she'll be doing it on your furniture ;) A cat tree, stable and tall enough that she can get up and out of the dogs' reach, would be best. She'll need lots of high places where she can observe the dogs in safety - that's one of the best ways for cats to get comfortable with dogs, especially more boisterous ones!