Siamese Cat Eye Color Mystery

VicJJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my Siamese kitten is supposed to be a purebred. Though pure bred Siamese cats are described as with deep dark blue eyes. My kitten has light blue eyes. Could this be an indicator of the kitten not being a purebred or something of that sort?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VicJJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my Siamese kitten is supposed to be a purebred. Though pure bred Siamese cats are described as with deep dark blue eyes. My kitten has light blue eyes. Could this be an indicator of the kitten not being a purebred or something of that sort?

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please relax about your babies' bloodlines! You are hers now. You won't know her true eye color till she is about 3 months old. And purebred Siamese can have a range of Blues in their Eyes!

And she is adorable :)

Siamese Eye Colors

VicJJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I didn’t know that. I read that they should be “deep dark” blue. Or maybe that’s only for modern Siamese cats. Anyway, thanks a lot.
Margot says “Hi”

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The show standard has evolved over time and has went so crazy it has made a completely different cat. It was Pearly Blue in 1881, and if you read that thing about the Siamese eye color, you see that in order to get the deep blue prized now, the cats need recessive green eye genes.

Show standards are horrible things. They have caused constant inbreeding that has not only enhanced certain "appearances" but also genetic defects and health problems in every breed of animal that has been subjected to them. They change over time like fashion, and are just as empty and frivolous and shallow.

Meanwhile, things to do with your cat:

Last edited:

VicJJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Lol. We are stil down to “high five” and “sit”, but she’s a fast learner.
Can your cat do tricks?

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
a few. I snap my fingers and point and he will move to my finger. He does "Paw" where he will touch my hand with his paw, no matter where it is. And Stand, where he sits up on his hind legs. He also comes when called by name. I am working on "Roll" but he is only does it when he feels like doing it.

VicJJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whoa. I could use some tips. Do I give him something special as reward or just the normal food since he is a baby.
Thanks,
Vic JJ

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used treats, but I would advise against that since Homer got addicted to them and now that is all he will eat. I don't have a clicker, but I am old fashioned person and used my tongue to click when I gave him a treat, and said good boy. From what I have seen on youtube, clicker training is the way to go with cats. You can use anything he really likes, even his regular kibble.

Google Clicker training cats, its fascinating.

VicJJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So basically I reward him for the good behavior and click. But hoe is she gonna know the difference from “roll over” to “stay” if I don’t use word commands as well?

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The click becomes the reward. So you say Roll over, and if they do it, you click, then give the treat. The Click is faster than the treat, and lets them know they did something right and will be getting a treat. The speed of the clicker is necessary because cats have no focus or attention span until they get used to training. Seriously watch some videos!

Here is one

How to clicker train your cat – Adventure Cats

I like the way she says "The cat knows the trick, he will do the trick, but after he stretches, and grooms" in this one:

areen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The show standard has evolved over time and has went so crazy it has made a completely different cat. It was Pearly Blue in 1881, and if you read that thing about the Siamese eye color, you see that in order to get the deep blue prized now, the cats need recessive green eye genes.

Show standards are horrible things. They have caused constant inbreeding that has not only enhanced certain "appearances" but also genetic defects and health problems in every breed of animal that has been subjected to them. They change over time like fashion, and are just as empty and frivolous and shallow.

Meanwhile, things to do with your cat:
OMG BEST CAT VIDEO I EVER SEEN XD SO ADORABLE SO PRO !

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH! Vic if you and Margos come back to this thread:

Homer plays "fetch". I did not teach him this, he taught me. When he was little he was annoying me to death one day and I grabbed the first thing at hand, a piece of paper, and wadded it up and threw it. He LOVED it. He chased it and batted it all over the floor till he lost it under the couch. This evolved into a game; when I was at my desk, he would sit on the couch, and I would throw paper balls at him and he would jump up and bat them. I called it cat baseball. I would say "ready" and he would get in position on the couch and wiggle his butt. (He still does this. He has a "ready" base in every room). A lot of the balls went on the floor, and he would jump down and bat them around and push them under the hall closet door before returning to the couch. (I don't get the closet door thing, but cat). One day when I was ignoring the hell out of him, he fished one of his paper balls out from under the closet door and brought it to me on the desk. I was so surprised I threw it for him. Over time he started bringing me things when I ignored him, like his favorite toy. I always stopped what I was doing and played with him when he did this.

It has evolved into full fledged fetch. If I throw something at him now, he will bat it around, sometimes right back to me, but if it goes the wrong way he picks it up and brings it back. He also will drag his "flying" toys to me if he wants to play with one. It's hilarious and annoying at the same time.