Siamese Behaviors

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband and I have adopted two foster kittens and one of them happens to be a Siamese which has always been a breed I was fascinated with and loved but I knew they had particular traits and that a lot of people say that they’re not fond of other cats because their possessive. And so having raised her from bottlefed with my bigger cats and the other kitten and she got along well with them so we decided to adopt her despite that warning.

Since she’s gotten bigger and really settled into the house and has developed her personality I’m noticing some pretty unique traits that she has and I’m wondering if it’s just her or a Siamese thing. Most of these things aren’t negative to me and while they can be a bit much sometimes I don’t really mind.

She licks my lips but only mine not my husbands or anyone else.
She demands I pick her up and if I don’t she’ll jump into my arms.
She’ll start purring like a motorboat when she within a foot of me.
She is possessive of me and asserts dominance when with the other cats, she’s sitting on the highest part of me, or she walks over them or bats her paw at them so she is getting the most attention.
She brings me and my husband “gifts” while we sleep. He wakes up with paper towels, empty toilet paper rolls, ribbon, anything small and light that she can carry up and she’ll actually put the stuff in my bed as I don’t have a door.
She’s extremely vocal, demands to have doors open, if I walk away and she doesn’t know it I’ll hear her cry and then I say her name and she runs to me, and if she’s sleeping when she first wakes up she cries for me to call her and come to me.

Is my cat just acting like a typical Siamese or is she just super clingy to me?

Again most of the behavior is okay with my husband and I, though I am working on redirecting the walking over and batting at the other cats, even tho it never starts fights I’d like to redirect it.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds like a typical Siamese to me. They do have a tendency to prefer one family member over others and can be very very demanding of attention or whatever else they want. Lucky you, she sounds like she will be a great addition to the family.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
My heart-baby meezer didn't do the lip licking thing (not sure I'd have let him if he'd tried -- eewww LOL) but, yes, definitely, being gently demanding about things (funny how they are able to do that, seems contradictory), being vocal (oh my goodness yes!!), coming when called - he absolutely knew his name.

He didn't have to deal with any other cats other than his mom, so I don't have experience with that.

My current big black furry owner of my heart (a Turkish Angora mix) likes to sniff my bangs that fall over my forehead. I think this is such a fun, wonderful, unique thing too. I love it.

Every cat really is different, even within a breed :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
My heart-baby meezer didn't do the lip licking thing (not sure I'd have let him if he'd tried -- eewww LOL) but, yes, definitely, being gently demanding about things (funny how they are able to do that, seems contradictory), being vocal (oh my goodness yes!!), coming when called - he absolutely knew his name.

He didn't have to deal with any other cats other than his mom, so I don't have experience with that.

My current big black furry owner of my heart (a Turkish Angora mix) likes to sniff my bangs that fall over my forehead. I think this is such a fun, wonderful, unique thing too. I love it.

Every cat really is different, even within a breed :)
So the lip licking thing is something she picked up after she left my foster room and was around my husband and I more, my mom thinks she saw us kissing each other and that’s why she does it, she sees it as a normal affectionate greeting for me, for whatever reason. I’m not to upset because I am not weird about germs and bacteria since I’m a weirdo that kind of exposes myself to it to build my immune system.

Otherwise you’re right about every cat being different. We have 4 and two are Maine Coons and one is just a long haired mix breed and they are all so so different personality wise. Each kitten clung to an adult cat in our house that they had more in common with which I thought was cool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She sounds like a typical Siamese to me. They do have a tendency to prefer one family member over others and can be very very demanding of attention or whatever else they want. Lucky you, she sounds like she will be a great addition to the family.
I knew that they were loyal and possessive but I never expect such an affectionate little baby. I mean I love her so much and am excited to have a cat this affectionate. It seems like each cat has its own purpose within our household and they all fit perfectly.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
my mom thinks she saw us kissing each other and that’s why she does it, she sees it as a normal affectionate greeting for me, for whatever reason.
I think this is completely right, and your meezer is definitely super uber smart - I'm so glad she has you :vibes::heartshape: