Siamese, Balinese, or Ragdoll? What Breed is My Cat?

EJane780

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my boy, Finn. I adopted him from my vet as a kitten. And it’s driving me crazy trying to figure out if he’s a Long Haired Siamese, Balinese, Ragdoll, or something else! He is a big boy at 12-13 pounds. Vet said he is the perfect weight for his frame. He is floppy like a Ragdoll, vocal like a Siamese, and quite dog-like. Help me put this debate to rest!

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most probably he is a longhaired domestic, seal point. The vet should know, as its he whom knows where he got the kitten from.
IF it happened to be from a purebred momma, or what.

But as look alike? It could be the balinese old type... Whom are essentially longhaired siameses... (so there isnt really such a thing as a longhaired siamese, IF such happens they become simply labelled as a balinese).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EJane780

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most probably he is a longhaired domestic, seal point. The vet should know, as its he whom knows where he got the kitten from.
IF it happened to be from a purebred momma, or what.

But as look alike? It could be the balinese old type... Whom are essentially longhaired siameses... (so there isnt really such a thing as a longhaired siamese, IF such happens they become simply labelled as a balinese).
Thank you for your input! Finn was surrendered to the vet as a kitten when he was found out in the cold nearly dead by a college student. The student couldn’t afford to pay the bill so he was surrendered.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, so the probability is sky high he is a pointed domestic..

Although I do know of purebreds whom got astray when coming to the stud for mating, and another one whom got astray when leaving the hotel while they participated in a Show, so finding a purebred on the street is very rare but not totally impossible.

But in these cases the adults (or kitten from a impregnated momma) would be spot of show quality. Not any perhaps look alike...

Be happy with what you got and rejoice! Thanking much to this student whom did cared, and the vet whom sold Finn to you.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a beauty and he looks so sweet, he looks balinese, which is a natural long haired mutation of the siamese cat, but the wikipedia link calls it domestic as well, see link below. Is he pure bred, no way to know for sure, so if he was lost, yes it is a slight possibility, or he could be a mix, a purebred seal point cat escaped or was dumped etc and mated with other cats outside etc. When a cat looks like a breed, especially an obvious breed like a seal point Siamese imo they have a large part in them. I see numerous siamese cats on rescue groups especially in CA, that look exactly like pb siamese cats but they are most likely mixes.
He looks a bit like a siamese mix cat I follow on fb, whose mom was a pb and dad was an unknown feral, very gorgeous with blue points, stunning deep blue eyes and beautiful long tawny hair.

There are numerous breeds that have been bred with siamese cats to get the points such as siberians, rag-dolls, Himalayans and more.

Balinese cat - Wikipedia