Shybaby Update Again.

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
She goes for her spay this Tuesday April 2! I am asking for all the good juju, positive thoughts, prayers anyone can send us. I still can’t pick her up but she now comes to me at least 50 percent of the time when I call her. She still purrs loudly and rubs against me when I’m sitting on the floor now not just my legs. She sniffs my fingers and doesn’t attack. Loves the feather wand and is getting more and more comfortable with pets by me. After much thought I have decided to bring her to the vet in a carrier instead of a trap. I have had the carrier in the office with her and she goes in and out comfortably and rubs on it. Hopefully Tuesday she will go in and I will just shut the door. She flops on her back purring in front of me all the time now so hopefully will continue to do so after the spay and then I will be able to check her incision. It will be such a relief to have her finally vetted and bloodwork shots etc done.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adding my prayers and vibes that Juju goes in well and recovers quickly! I would definitely keep a thick towel or blanket over the carrier from the time the gate is closed until she's on the exam table. and again, from before she leaves the vet office until you get her back into her room. I leave them in their carrier but prop the door open with the towel draped over the door. It seems to keep them much calmer and less traumatized. My vet allows me to bring in the ferals and semi-ferals through the back entrance to avoid the dogs in the waiting room (even though I keep the traps & carriers covered).
:vibes::vibes::vibes:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That brings to mind the day I had to cross a large room with Poppy in his carrier, and two dogs that were waiting to be seen by the vet . One lady kept her dog controlled, bless her, but the other woman was one of those who lets her dog do whatever and the heck with the consequences. I was SO glad I had a cover over the carrier!

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds fantastic! I wish you good luck of course. Remember to just let her ease back into things after the spay. She might behave a little distantly to you but it's just part of recovery. The last cat I had spayed took a week for her to get back to normal regarding interaction with me and the other cats. That was a semi-feral/ feralish cat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, even though she's willingly going into the carrier, she'll probably freak out when she figures out it's closed. So make sure to close the door very smoothly and quietly, and get it latched quickly. Try to have a plan to hold on to the door if she flips out before you have it latched. You'll only get one chance!

And of course it'll make you feel bad :(, but hold firm. It has to be done and she'll be a lot happier and healthier afterward.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! I am a bundle of nerves tonight! Praying the transfer goes smoothly. I will keep you posted!

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shybaby is home and doing well. Had no issue at all getting her in the carrier! She walked in and was playing with a toy and I quietly shut the door. She didn’t even freak when she saw the door was closed and did not make a peep in the car. I am so proud of her! They said she was not in heat they said she was pregnant! They said it was a very early pregnancy and they terminated it with her spay. Not sure when her brother got to her before his neuter but they were confined together when I thought she was a boy. I feel terrible but she is too young to be a mamma. I am trying to focus on the fact that the rubbing on me, and being more social all this time was real and not just due to her being in heat like I thought. She is currently laying low but has come out several times to rub against my legs already! And her bloodwork was all good. Such a relief to have this done. Thank you all for your support.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay, glad it's done!

Has her brother been with her at all after his neuter? I mean, the others were done like a month ago, weren't they? (ETA: I looked up past posts; Feb 13th. So 6 weeks ago!) And if she were 6 weeks along they wouldn't say early pregnancy; that's 2/3 through. Even if he were fertile for a month afterward (which is pushing the realm of possibility), she'd still be 2 weeks along at least. Well, that's a mystery!

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay, glad it's done!

Has her brother been with her at all after his neuter? I mean, the others were done like a month ago, weren't they? (ETA: I looked up past posts; Feb 13th. So 6 weeks ago!) And if she were 6 weeks along they wouldn't say early pregnancy; that's 2/3 through.

I agree! I wonder if her file was mixed with someone elses
Yay, glad it's done!

Has her brother been with her at all after his neuter? I mean, the others were done like a month ago, weren't they? (ETA: I looked up past posts; Feb 13th. So 6 weeks ago!) And if she were 6 weeks along they wouldn't say early pregnancy; that's 2/3 through. Even if he were fertile for a month afterward (which is pushing the realm of possibility), she'd still be 2 weeks along at least. Well, that's a mystery!
I agree the whole thing was very confusing to me. We were at a low cost clinic so I did not actually speak with the vet. The person that signed us out and gave us our discharge instructions told me. I had expressed my concern that she was in heat when I dropped her off based on how she was acting. When she was checking me out she said your cat was not in heat she was pregnant. I was shocked and she immediately said it was an early early pregnancy. She said they babies were the size of beans??? You are correct. Her 3 siblings were spayed on Feb 13 . She was with her brother from trapping thanksgiving week until Feb 13. He went in my office on Feb 13 after his neuter and she joined him in my office on Feb 25. They were together for several days after that and then I moved him back in with his sisters and left shybaby in my office for more one on one bonding time. So guessing if she was pregnant then it happened before Feb 13??? Her sisters were fixed Feb 13 too and I was told were in the early stages of heat so she probably was too? But if she were that far along I would think I would have noticed? Also why would they say it was an early early pregnancy if it really wasn't??

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap: Wonderful update!! But I am surprised at the timing that resulted in pregnancy. Perhaps the discharge person got her confused with another cat. The bottom line is that all went well, ShyBaby is recovering and still loves you - the general anesthesia would cause any unborn babies to slip away peacefully (according to my vet anyway) and you have done your part at stopping the unnecessary sufferings of unwanted pregnancies. Bravo! :heartshape: :happycat:

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
:clap: Wonderful update!! But I am surprised at the timing that resulted in pregnancy. Perhaps the discharge person got her confused with another cat. The bottom line is that all went well, ShyBaby is recovering and still loves you - the general anesthesia would cause any unborn babies to slip away peacefully (according to my vet anyway) and you have done your part at stopping the unnecessary sufferings of unwanted pregnancies. Bravo! :heartshape: :happycat:
I have heard that as well about the unknown babies. Thank you ❤

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I somehow missed my notification on your thread, so my congrats are a bit late. But had to tell you - - - I'm SOOOOO happy you were finally able to get ShyBaby spayed - - - and that you even got a post-spay purr VERY quickly!!! Don't beat yourself up about the pregnancy - - I was surprised to hear that she was, since there wasn't much time in which it could have happened! But male kitties waste no opportunity to keep that bloodline going - - -I think we should use your tale as a cautionary one when we talk to people who say "but they're related.....and it couldn't happen that fast....etc."

And yes, what you were told about the babies is what I was told by a vet. I'm glad Shybaby - - -at such a young age - - didn't have to go through a pregnancy! And glad she's doing well! (I'd love another update when you get time!).

So happy it all ended well for everyone! :cheerleader:

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I somehow missed my notification on your thread, so my congrats are a bit late. But had to tell you - - - I'm SOOOOO happy you were finally able to get ShyBaby spayed - - - and that you even got a post-spay purr VERY quickly!!! Don't beat yourself up about the pregnancy - - I was surprised to hear that she was, since there wasn't much time in which it could have happened! But male kitties waste no opportunity to keep that bloodline going - - -I think we should use your tale as a cautionary one when we talk to people who say "but they're related.....and it couldn't happen that fast....etc."

And yes, what you were told about the babies is what I was told by a vet. I'm glad Shybaby - - -at such a young age - - didn't have to go through a pregnancy! And glad she's doing well! (I'd love another update when you get time!).

So happy it all ended well for everyone! :cheerleader:
Thank you! She is still doing great and I am so proud of her! She is becoming more loving by the day too! It is unbelievable the transformation she is making and she is so worth it❤ She is letting me pet her more and more. She rubs against me and head bumps me all the time now and purrs practically all the time. I just Love her! I am adding a pix.