Shy Shelter Cat

knikoleellis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just rescued a cat 2 days ago, and she's really shy. She won't come out of the corner, and runs when we come near. She's opening up more today, meaning she'll let us touch her.  She's not mean, she's just scared. 

Any tips on getting her to play or open up? She jumped onto my lap when I first met her which is why I went back to get her, but now she's just really sad. 

Also, tips for getting her to use the litter box? She keeps pooping beside the litter box. I love Skout already, but I really don't want her to be sad in her new home. 

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Your story sounds completely normal, when I adopted my first cats (12 years ago!) one of them was so snuggly at the shelter, and then when we brought her home she was terrified. Hiding behind everything, didn't want to be touched, never even came out of her hiding spots when we were in the room. It took about two weeks for her to feel confident around us that she wouldn't shrink whenever there was a loud noise, and nowadays she's such a sweet cat who loves snuggling up to her people. Your story sounds completely normal! It's only been two days -- your new cat definitely isn't going to be sad with you. She's just going through a lot of changes. New house, new people, new sounds, new smells, new litter box -- she's just feeling timid, and I promise in time she'll open up and you'll be able to see how much she appreciates her new home.

As far as opening up goes, I would spend a lot of time with her first off. Don't rush her and don't try to pet her if she doesn't want to be petted. Just sit in the same room with her, you can always read out loud so she gets used to your voice. Start off holding out your hand to her and seeing if she'll sniff it. You can also try hand feeding her. If she's warming up, playing is definitely the best way to bond with your cat IMO. Once she feels more comfortable, she may be interested in playing with a feather wand or a toy like that. Just don't push things -- let her have her alone time if she needs it! She'll come out of her shell in no time. Every cat is different, some take to big changes better than others.

What sort of litter box do you have? I would recommend making sure it's just a pan -- no hood, no automatic litter box, etc. Try changing around your litter. You could see what they were using in the shelter, or set up multiple pans with different types of litter such as paper and pellets. Make sure it's deep and you have enough little in there as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

knikoleellis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a pan with no hood, and it's Esquisicat naturals pine cat litter. A lady at Petsmart recommended it. Last night when she pooped, I just put it in the litter box in hopes she'd recognize where to go, and then cleaned it out this morning. 

Hopefully it makes a difference. I'll give the shelter a call & see what they use as well. 

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest to either use what the shelter was using gir litter or an unscented litter. Cats are very sensitive to smells and the scent may be putting her off. Good luck!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She will do best if you give her a room of her own, with her own litter and food and water and perhaps a cuddle bed in it as well.  A study where yu spend time is good, but they really do best in a smaller space at first, where the door is shut and there are no people or other animals going in and out suddenly.  You can go it, but go slowly, and don't go after her.  Sit at your computer desk or whatever, just be with her for awhile.  Remember, in the shelter she didn't have a lot of space and that was fine, it was a place she was used to.  A lot of shelter cats get a case of agoraphobia in a spacious home, even a small one.  I have always started the newbies in the master bath (which I don't use as a bathroom but as a rescue room) and after they are comfy there, I leave the door ajar so they can enter the master bedroom (which was never a bedroom for me but always a study and rescue room).  Theywill creep out and explore but run back into the safety of "their" smaller bathroom if anything startles them.  After a few days, that changes.  Cats like to have their safe caves, like corners and closets and under beds, where they can hideand observe.

knikoleellis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's still not using the litter (Always right next to it, yesterday I moved the litter box to the spot she was pooping in... then she pooped in the spot where the box WAS.)

But on the positive side, she started playing with one of the toys this morning. She hasn't touched any of the toys since I got her. That made my heart happy. 

knikoleellis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's having to, because there aren't any wet spots on the carpet, and there's no smell. It's not a clumping litter, the litter absorbs the urine. 

The shelter said she was litter trained, that's why I'm so confused. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
she probably doesn't like the texture on her feet. most shelters use non clumping litter.

I had a long hair dark tortie like yours=she HATED cat litter that clumps. it sticks to the fur when they poop. she also pooped on the carpet. walmart sells a large bag of non clumping litter for like $3. Once I switched to that=the floor pooping stopped. Yes I had to swap out the litter every 4 days but at least if you mix it (the litter) every morning and night-it will help absorb the pee. You still will need to change it and scoop the poops out but I found I could stretch the litter a bit longer by mixing it up  after she peed.

make sure unscented non clumping clay litter should fix the problem.

otherwise you will have to try other types/brands but ALWAYS unscented.

Last edited:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats do not like peeing and popping in the same box. I would suggest getting a second box and a different, unscented, clumping litter. It could be either she does not like the litter or would prefer a second box. The fact that she poos near the box indicates to me that she knows what to do and where to go but something is preventing this. It can be trail and error with litter boxes! I like to use clumping litter because though you do have to scoop daily; its important to go to know and keep any eye on your baby's litter habits. Changes in those habits can indicate either a behavioral issue or a physical one.

Also, get am enzymatic cleaner like Natures Miracle (sold at most pet stores) to clean where she has pooped before: rven thought you have cleaned those areas, most cleaners leave behind proteins of the pee or poo which the cat can still smell and it will be drawn back to those areas to pee/poo again. These cleaners like Natures Miracle will break those proteins down.

Also if you search TCS there are many threads on similar issues which may give you other ideas to try. Lastly, if you have tried various modifications to litter and litter boxes and there is no resolution, a vet check would be good to rule out any physical problems.

[emoji]9752[/emoji]Good Luck...I hope some of this helps [emoji]9752[/emoji]

knikoleellis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats do not like peeing and popping in the same box. I would suggest getting a second box and a different, unscented, clumping litter. It could be either she does not like the litter or would prefer a second box. The fact that she poos near the box indicates to me that she knows what to do and where to go but something is preventing this. It can be trail and error with litter boxes! I like to use clumping litter because though you do have to scoop daily; its important to go to know and keep any eye on your baby's litter habits. Changes in those habits can indicate either a behavioral issue or a physical one.

Also, get am enzymatic cleaner like Natures Miracle (sold at most pet stores) to clean where she has pooped before: rven thought you have cleaned those areas, most cleaners leave behind proteins of the pee or poo which the cat can still smell and it will be drawn back to those areas to pee/poo again. These cleaners like Natures Miracle will break those proteins down.

Also if you search TCS there are many threads on similar issues which may give you other ideas to try. Lastly, if you have tried various modifications to litter and litter boxes and there is no resolution, a vet check would be good to rule out any physical problems.

[emoji]9752[/emoji]Good Luck...I hope some of this helps [emoji]9752[/emoji]
I appreciate you VERY VERY VERY much!!!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I appreciate you VERY VERY VERY much!!!
Awwww...I'm so happy to offer my limited advice[emoji]9786[/emoji]️Don't worry, you will sort this out.
I forgot to add that I was happy to hear Skout has started to play a little. That's a great sign that she is starting to adjust to her new home [emoji]128571[/emoji]