Showing in household pet catergory?

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was wondering how to prepare a cat for showing in the "Household Pet" catergory, if I wanted to show Patch. It depends on how he fills out, but I was wondering what to start doing now?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about it, just the basics. I know he has to be neutered by 8 months. He can't be de-clawed if shown in CFA shows, TICA shows may allow it (or the other way around? I can never remember. Not that I think any cat should be de-clawed. . .). It doesn't really matter "how he fills out", though overweight or underweight cats probably won't win.

Nice markings are a plus, a good friendly personality and a willingness to be handled by strangers are musts. Of course he has to be well groomed and generally well cared for. HHP is all about having nice, well-cared-for pets, looks aren't the most important thing, and conformation doesn't matter.

I'm sure someone who knows more will fill in anything I missed!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a former HHP judge in ACFA here's my tips (and I've also shown HHPs in the past).

1. Any cat 8 months or over must be spayed/neutered.

2. CFA will not accept any declawed cat in show. ACFA/TICA will allow them but doesn't encourage the practice of declawing. Many cats are declawed sitting in shelters and can be shown.

As far as preparation - HHP is as competitive as championship now. Your cat should be bathed and groomed as appropriate a few days before the show. Cat should be at the proper weight for its size - not too fat or too thin. It helps if the cat is used to being handled by more then the family (strangers) and has an outgoing personality.

Judges understand that most HHP's are either "only" kids or never been outside the house and will make a lot more allowances with attitude. Train your cat to be comfortable on a table, and petted, stretched out with back legs on the table, and play with toys (feathers, etc) on the table.

I would suggest you go visit a cat show in your area as soon as you can and watch and listen to the judges when they judge the HHP's - then go home and practice handling what you see the judges do with the cats.

If you decide to show your cat, then come ask more questions regarding show prep before the show (grooming, bathing, what to bring). It would take too long to list everything in one thread.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would love to show HHP if my cat would cooperate
Very important that your cat not go ballistic in the presence (sight, smell) of other cats! My girl had everything going for her: spunky, friendly, outgoing with people, not scared of being in cages, beautiful health and coat, copper eyes, etc.....BUT her redhead self threw a positive fit in one ring (after winning 3rd out of ten in another ring, at six months old and among longcoats!!) which got her NQ'ed from the ring. I'm afraid my brief stint in HHP is the last of it for me; I have, however, the BEST cat I've ever had in my life!
Oh well!!! Just know that everything can appear a go for an HHP prospect kitty and then attitude towards other cats can throw it all out!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You never know about any cat - they can be wonderful at home and a terror in the rings.

First HHP - Mitten - very laid back with a "Morris" attitude of "you really want me to play?"

Muffin - she was a stunning black and white bicolor with odd eyes - best HHP I owned as far as winning. She went to her first show as an 8 month old kitten who just got spayed and had a bare belly. Walked out of the show hall with 3 BEST Household Pet finals out of 4 rings! Muffin rarely missed a final and she lived till 18 yrs old.

Reds - did well but on the shy side. He was a laid back cat like Mitten

Ling (my current HHP) - lovely black & white spay, but hates other cats at the show - her show career was 3 rings and we pulled her!