Showering with shaving cream?

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My friends adult cat (i think 3 years old) recently cought flees. we were researching and I saw some vet mention wetting down a cat and putting unscented shaving cream from the neck down, wrapping them up in a towel for 5-7 minutes and all fleas would go to the surface of the shaving cream and the cat would be rinsed off. Has anyone ever tried this before? Never heard of it

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope. Good luck trying to put anything on a cat and trying to get them to hold still wrapped up in a blanket.

A cat can be bathed with Dawn dish soap. Just a little soap in plenty of barely lukewarm water. You don't need sudsy water. Dry thoroughly and keep the cat warm and out of drafts until the fur is completely dry which might take a couple of hours. Do not use a hair dryer even on the low setting. It's too hot and will burn sensitive cat skin even if you think you're holding the dryer far enough.

It's not easy to bathe a cat at home, though, so you may need to take the cat to a groomer for a flea bath while you also treat the cat with a prescription flea treatment from the vet as well and clean and vacuum the the home to remove adult fleas (empty the vacuum bag / canister into an outside trash can) and wash blankets, etc that the cat sleeps on in hot water.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My friends adult cat (i think 3 years old) recently cought flees. we were researching and I saw some vet mention wetting down a cat and putting unscented shaving cream from the neck down, wrapping them up in a towel for 5-7 minutes and all fleas would go to the surface of the shaving cream and the cat would be rinsed off. Has anyone ever tried this before? Never heard of it
In my 40 years of living with cats, most of them longhaired, I have never ever heard about using shaving cream to treat fleas. Actually TCS has an Article that discusses how to treat a cat with fleas that might have some helpful information for your friend's cat:
Cat Fleas – TheCatSite Articles

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter once told me how her husband (a Marine) flea bathed their cat. He put some lukewarm soapy water in a bucket. Held the cats front legs and quickly sat him into the bucket of water. Continues to hold front legs down in bucket. Confined in that manner the cat could not struggle very much. Used other hand and a plastic cup to slosh soapy water over cat. Had a second bucket of clean water handy. Transferred from first to second bucket, rinsed, toweled off, and done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nope. Good luck trying to put anything on a cat and trying to get them to hold still wrapped up in a blanket.

A cat can be bathed with Dawn dish soap. Just a little soap in plenty of barely lukewarm water. You don't need sudsy water. Dry thoroughly and keep the cat warm and out of drafts until the fur is completely dry which might take a couple of hours. Do not use a hair dryer even on the low setting. It's too hot and will burn sensitive cat skin even if you think you're holding the dryer far enough.

It's not easy to bathe a cat at home, though, so you may need to take the cat to a groomer for a flea bath while you also treat the cat with a prescription flea treatment from the vet as well and clean and vacuum the the home to remove adult fleas (empty the vacuum bag / canister into an outside trash can) and wash blankets, etc that the cat sleeps on in hot water.
Yeah her cat has a bit of a temper when it comes to baths so idk about the towel

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of it either. I would not do this because something in the shaving cream could be toxic to them. You can bathe them with dawn as suggested or a shampoo designed to treat fleas. If her kitty will let her bathe him.

I used to bathe my cats in a bath tub to prevent fleas. But they started to not like it so I stopped. They also didn't need any treatments being inside. It is a good idea to get a kitten used to bathing so if you need to bathe them for a cleanliness issue etc. you can do it.