Should We Take Her To The Vet To Be Euthanized Tonight Or Tomorrow Morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm 100% sure my cat is on the brink of death. We're poor and could never afford animals (you can read my other threads in which everything has gone to hell again). Our eldest cat (she's about 13) suddenly developed a lump on her lower breast/nipples ~2-3weeks ago. We tried to call the lowest cost vet near us and they said they don't deal with that area of the cat (ASPCA animal hospital).

It upset me and for weeks I let this continue as my parents also did nothing since we cannot afford any of these places. She rapidly began to lose weight and make these wheezing sounds I didn't understand since it didn't start in her lungs. She kept trying to eat but would often feel weak after doing so. After using the bathroom she would lay in the litterbox... Or just go to the litterbox to lay down.

Today she is the skinniest I've seen her and she developed an awful smell. I think she may have urinated or defecated on herself. But my dad said the smell seems to be coming from the wound..it started to bleed REALLY BAD ~3 hours ago and we stopped it with cloth for now but idk what to do????? I took a shower so we could potentially take her to the vet to be put down. The emergency vet nearest us that does payment plans has an automated system that tells you to bring in the animal. No option to talk to a human to see if they do cremation services or euthanasia.

I dont want her to die alone without her family and then be disposed of like nothing. She's been with us forever and she was perfectly okay and then suddenly... She seriously doesn't deserve this.

I don't know if we should risk moving her to the carrier and opening the wound again and take her w/o knowing what will happen. Or wait until morning when we may be able to call in since representatives are available for appointment scheduling (meaning we may be able to talk to someone and immediately bring her in after).

I feel like in a way it's my fault and that she will die because I didnt call around enough or try to go through with just taking her and trying to get a payment plan.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The wound could be an abscess infection. Do you have a photo of the wound. I think you should take her to the vet. If the wound is smelling and looks pussy let the wound drain.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for you and for your cat of 13 years. This is so sad.
The only way to help her is to bring her to the vet, and immediately. She is suffering a lot based on your story.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My parents decided to take her in the morning and I called the ASPCA as soon as I woke up. They offer euthanasia and group cremation. I was ready to go and take her but we couldnt find her in the spot that she was in and kept looking all over for her. We found that she had passed. Not sure what to do. My mom is ready to do group cremation, but honestly I want to bury her. Since we live in the city we don't have a backyard. I know it's illegal, but I'd like to bury her in a public park as I'd feel more at peace knowing she's in a serene place. Trying to figure out where. She didn't deserve this and she was such a beautiful loyal and loving cat.
20190402-002-1.jpg
20190402-000-1.jpg

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have her cremated and then bury or spread her ashes. It’s a public health and safety issue to bury pets in the park.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had her group cremated because we couldn't afford private :( They gave us her pawprints. I really hope they're hers. When the woman took the box she didn't even say anything to me. I hope they do good things with the ashes of all of those animals...

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss. That's terrible that the woman didn't say anything to you expressing sympsthy.
Your cat was beautiful and knew you loved her very much. She's at peace now
Google the rainbow bridge poem.

I had to euthanize my mom's cat Emerald who I had for five years after my mom died. Emerald had mammary cancer, lumps like you describe and it spread to her lungs. She had trouble breathing. I was able to call a traveling vet to come to my apartment and euthanize her at home peacefully.

Taking your cat in the car and a carrier to the vet at the end when she was already having trouble breathing would have made things very stressful for her. Maybe it's better the way things happened. You did all you could.

I just had to euthanize my beautiful cat Lovey last week. He had a different kind of cancer but it was causing fluid in his heart and also making it hard for him to breathe. I also kept him home and had a vet come do it where he'd be less stressed and with the other pets he loved and me holding him.

The paw prints are really hers. The love you had with her never goes away

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. You evidently gave your cat a good life for 13 years and in time I hope you will be able to think about those days with her. I also agree that it might be for the best for an animal that ill to have passed away at home on her own terms. Stop telling yourself that there was a "logical" way for you to have handled this if you had made calls earlier. We never know what to think at times like this and if we are doing the right thing or not. Often there is no "right" anyway, just the best ending that we can make of things. It is good that you did not risk attempted burial at a public park, itself fraught with all sorts of issues, and I do believe that most animal mortuary services are on the level.

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know you want to ury her in a public park but here is my two cents on that. I volunteer at an archaeology dig that is in city property. We are excavating buildings associated with the governor of New York State during the American Civil War. They were never recorded. We've already found a cistern by sheer dumb luck.

Last year we were chasing two features where the carriage house used to be. We thought they were post holes. One actually did turn out to be a post hole, but the other one wound up being a cat burial, shroud and all.

If you insist on the public park I would try to find something very heavily wooded that does not hae domestic activity attached. It will be annoying but better in the long run, especially for the unassuming archaeologists.

I'm sorry for your loss. It's always hard. :hugs

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My apologies, I skimmed and didn't read where you had her group cremated.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss, it's hard to lose a fur baby.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The team at TCS as very sorry for your loss, Mokocchi Mokocchi . :rbheart:

Threads where a cat has passed are locked, out of respect. You are very welcome to start a thread in her honour in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

....................................................RIP Sweet Girl
.....................................................:greenpaw: :bluebutterfly: :rbheart: :purplebutterfly: :bluepaw:

Status
Not open for further replies.