Should We Get Kitten #2

Dyl1463

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A week ago we adopted 4-month old Frank. He has brought so much joy and fun to our lives.

We always intended to adopt two kittens together, but he was the last kitten at an adoption event and we fell in love.

We are contemplating getting another kitten this week because I know how much kittens enjoy the playmate and company, but I'm nervous that we didn't adopt them together. I don't want Frank to feel stressed or any negative emotions. What are you thoughts?

Thank you!

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No one can tell exactly how things will go. Sometimes kitties get along well with each other with little introduction, other kitties just never do well with other kitties. If you do go ahead with it though, be sure to do careful and slow introductions (google Jackson Galaxy introductions and information will come up on how to do it properly).

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are going to adopt a second cat and can handle it, the sooner you do it the better. It will keep cat #1 from getting too territorial

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Four months is still very much a kitten and usually they adapt very well to having a new playmate. Just take the intro slow, expect there might be some hissing but I think it will go wonderfully after that.

Last edited:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Princess Yue Pants was 4 months or so old when we moved Tommy Gargoyle in. She had been living with me and my little dog for 1-2 months, and Tommy was 2-3 months old. He loved exploring the apartment and she was hissing and throwing a fit that he was in her house. This was the girl that spent her first three days shut away in my closet because she was so scared. She got used to him and enjoyed his company way more than the doggy, but after a week or two she started pooping in my bed because I DID THIS TO HER. So spiteful. They both had their own litter boxes and there were no other cats. I put up a baby gate in my door way because she's lazy. Tom would jump over it and she would stay out of my room. After a week or two I took the baby gate down and she didn't soil my bed up anymore. They're now 8 years old and I have two other cats ages 5 and 11.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many kittens adapt to a new friend right away but some do not so do a slow introduction regardless. My Aby was 6 months old when I adopted a similar aged kitten. My Aby wanted to play right away but the new kitten wanted nothing to do with him. It took less than a week for the new kitten to settle in. There was still a little hissing from the new kitten but it was understandable - my Aby is annoying :doh::doh:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy kitty loves other cats, but my girl kitty gets annoyed easily. If it were me, I would try two boy cats, but of course get them fixed before the hormones hit so they don't fight.