Should We Get A Third Cat?

TuxedoMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a bonded pair in April of this year, and they love each other, but Samantha is much lazier than Victoria and Victoria then lays around bored if there is no one to play with her. We are thinking about adopting a third cat as an additional playmate and I am wondering if anyone has experience with adding to a bonded pair situation. They are about 9 months old, so I am wondering if we should adopt while they are still young. We do have a cat in mind, she is the same age as Sam and Vicky... but I do not want to ruin the dynamic of the two we already have. Advice would be appreciated.

xx18xx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went through a similar situation not long ago. I had a stray cat who gave birth at my house. When the kittena were 4 months old I found 3 of them good homes & I kept the 4th one(Dixon). Well this stray cat had got pregnant again before I could have her spayed. When she had the 2nd litter of kittens I fell in love with one(Indy) right away. My plan was to keep her as a playmate for Dixon. Two months later I ended up having to take back one of the kittens from the 1st litter(Mia). While I was trying to find Mia another home she and Dixon became bonded. I struggled for a while on what to do but finally decided I couldn't tear them apart. Finally the 2nd litter were ready to find homes & I decided that I was going to keep Indy also. When Indy made the transition into the house Dixon loved it. Mia did not. I could tell that Mia was mad at Dixon for choosing to love & play with Indy. Indy finally grew on Mia and they all get along really well now. The 3 of them are pretty much inseparable. Mia & Dixon were 8 months old when I brought Indy in who was 4 months old.

Bringing in a kitten while they are still kittens themselves personally has been alot easier than bringing an adult cat into my home with other adult cats. So I think adopting the 3rd kitten while they are still young is the most ideal situation and I would either go with a cat the same age or younger. In my situation Dixon was very high energy but having two playmates around his age has helped a whole lot.