Should We Adopt Another?

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jonesy is my only cat right now, but he LOVES other cats. He used to be friends with Lyric, the cat that lives in the basement unit of our house (they would play together whenever someone went down to use the shared laundry), but Lyric has been hostile towards Jonesy ever since he had a vet visit a few weeks ago. We decided to stop letting them play together, since Lyric continued his hostility even after waiting weeks to let the vet smell wear away from Jonesy.

But Jonesy has been upset ever since. He cries when we go downstairs without him, and since he learned that there are also cats living outside he howls and tries to open windows whenever the neighborhood cats come around. He obviously wants to spend time with other cats, but we're not sure if adopting another cat would be the best choice right now.

Jonesy is my cat, and I can't afford another cat, but my roommate can afford one and has been thinking of getting one since Jonesy started acting up. Me and my roommate plan on living together for at least another few years, but we're inevitably going to move away from each other at some point. I worry about what will happen with the cats when that happens. They would likely be closely bonded to each other by then, but one cat would be mine and the other would be my roommate's. I can't imagine fighting over who gets to keep both cats, or else forcing them to split up. Would it be better to try and help Jonesy cope in other ways, rather than get another cat? Or does anyone have any advice on fitting two cats into a one-cat budget so that I can get a second cat of my own? My vet has multi-cat family discounts and financing options, so that helps, but vet bills would still be a challenge. Jonesy also has strict dietary needs that would make affordable feeding difficult.

We've gotten ourselves all worked up over the idea of a new kitty, and have been frequenting cat cafes, so I feel like we need to step back and think about this before we make any rash decisions.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi -
I feel like we need to step back and think about this before we make any rash decisions.
You are very wise!
Here's a couple articles that might help... They aren't super lengthy but packed with great info.
Keep in mind that every cat is different, one thing to think about is of course you don't have any way of knowing how a new cat might or might not bond with Jonesy.
By the way, have you had a chance to re-try a meeting with the downstairs kitty?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links! I have read these articles already, but I went through them again to see if I was forgetting anything.

We had tried re-introducing Lyric and Jonesy after 3 weeks apart, but there was no change in Lyric's reaction. Granted, the introduction didn't follow the proper process that I would normally use for introducing cats, since Jonesy and Lyric have entirely separate homes, but we did at least take time to mingle their scents in the shared laundry area (Lyric now refuses to touch certain items that Jonesy used a lot). But we are going to be moving in a few weeks anyway, so fixing the relationship with Lyric would only be a temporary solution anyway. (Don't worry; if we do end up getting another cat it wouldn't be until after we move and Jonesy has settled in the new place)

A friend also suggested fostering for a local cat rescue so that I wouldn't be responsible for the biggest costs, but I wouldn't feel comfortable exposing Jonesy to a bunch of different random cats of unknown backgrounds all the time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You sound like such a caring and perceptive cat person!!
I tell you what, get yourselves through the move and all that chaos and craziness (if you haven't, there's an article here about moving with cats, if I remember right...)
Then, as you've mentioned, when Jonesy is settled (if he needs feliway or Composure these products can help) you can take another look at this.
Maybe someone with fostering experience will chime in - I've always wondered about the same concerns you have also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, Lyric belongs to the people in the basement suite, so we won't be seeing him again after we move. My roommate is going to be moving with me, though, and we will be living together at least until she finishes school(a few years left).

This will be our first move with Jonesy so we're trying to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Hoping to relieve his car anxiety before then; thankfully we won't be moving far. He at least seems to adapt to change well (we've been rearranging furniture and packing things up to gage his response), and enjoys exploring new furniture, so he shouldn't have too much trouble adjusting once the move is done.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

If your cat is still young he would adjust easier to another cat, preferably a young cat/kitten as well.

As said, a slow introduction is best for success.

Have you looked into pet insurance, that would make another cat more affordable as emergencies should be covered and other care. Trouble is as for humans ‘pre existing’ conditions may not be covered but for a young healthy cat insurance may help for long term care. Also some chains like Pet Smart or the Humane Societies may offer discounted vaccinations, spaying and neutering etc.