should I worry about spay incisions? Pics!

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My cat recently got spayed and I've never taken care of a cat after surgery. I am not sure her spay is healing correctly or if it looks infected. I am waiting on a call back from my vet to discuss but I can't stop thinking about it and would like to hear any thoughts on her incisions. She has a little bump under her stitches and I've read it's probably either a seroma or a hernia, which terrifies me! It's been six days since her spay and she's worn a cone the whole time. Thank you!

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks great! It's not red or weepy or swollen. There's some bruising but that's normal. The lump is usually the inside stitches, holding the inner layers together. Of course it's always best to get the vet's opinion, but in my non-professional-but-I've-had-a-lot-of-cats-spayed opinion, it looks good.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It looks fine to me. That lump is normal, it's a little inflammation causedby the internal sutures, it'll go away in time.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above, it looks good. The lump is from internal swelling. A hernia would be a LOT bigger. If any questions just e-mail your vet that picture.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really does look good. Those little dark patches are almost certainly dried serum, which is perfectly normal. That's the stuff in the blood that holds antibodies, and is dispatched to all injuries. I don't think that the lump is outside normal, but call your vet and ask if you can email that photo to him, just to ease your mind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate you guys easing me mind! I will email my vet the picrures just to be safe, I am a very paranoid cat mom. Just want my babies to be healthy! Again thank you :,)

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks great! It's not red or weepy or swollen. There's some bruising but that's normal. The lump is usually the inside stitches, holding the inner layers together. Of course it's always best to get the vet's opinion, but in my non-professional-but-I've-had-a-lot-of-cats-spayed opinion, it looks good.
Thank you! So i took off her cone this morning and she licked around for a while, a little nibble here and there but I havent seen her nibble any more for a while. I took a new picture after. Still look okay? I am a first time pet owner so I can be quite paranoid about her health, just feeling like I don't know when worry is called for versus what's normal. Thank you!

Attachments

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! So i took off her cone this morning and she licked around for a while, a little nibble here and there but I havent seen her nibble any more for a while. I took a new picture after. Still look okay? I am a first time pet owner so I can be quite paranoid about her health, just feeling like I don't know when worry is called for versus what's normal. Thank you!
Looks really good! :clap2:

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks really good! :clap2:
Think so? I am so scared of her infecting herself by licking her incision after licking her bum or something. I figure it's just part of being a new owner and reading the horror stories online haha. Thank you, I feel a little less anxious now :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a week, right? They often remove stitches on humans after a week to prevent scarring, so most of the external healing should be done. Not as much to worry about after a week.