Should I Take This Cat With Me

MJO12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am agonizing over this. Three doors down from me is a family member who raised Gino from a kitten. Gino is a neutered male Tuxedo. He is the "**** of the walk!" Three years ago I brought two rescue alley cats into my home. My cats rarely go outside. Gino immediately began to hang around. He loves my cats and one of them loves him back. He started spending most of his time in my house. He started sleeping at my house last year. He sleeps next to me on my bed. Every day he would visit his original family, then return to my house. Now he visits his original family only occasionally. (There was some bad feeling between me and my relatives over Gino. LOL! Gino made his own decisions.) I am moving 11 hours South. I told my relatives that I am willing to take Gino with me. They had a family meeting to decide and said I could. Now I wonder if it's a good idea. I am so worried he will miss his first family and his territory. I am so worried he will get out of the house and try to make his way back north to his original home. But he loves me and my cats. I don't know what to do.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:headscratch:.... :idea: Since Gino sleeps with you, it seems that he has chosen your home as his "base camp". Like your other cats (and you) he will need to do some adjustments but that is all very doable. It may be that Gino's original owners will find another cat more temperamentally suited to the home that they offer. Heaven often has a way of working these things out well. :heartshape:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In your place I would take him. Whilst the new home may be unfamiliar to him, you and your cats are his family. If he spends most of his time with you in your home then thats where he wants to be. If his owners we're concerned or looked after him properly they would have been looking for him or spoken to you. Take him I say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MJO12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am agonizing over this. Three doors down from me is a family member who raised Gino from a kitten. Gino is a neutered male Tuxedo. He is the "**** of the walk!" Three years ago I brought two rescue alley cats into my home. My cats rarely go outside. Gino immediately began to hang around. He loves my cats and one of them loves him back. He started spending most of his time in my house. He started sleeping at my house last year. He sleeps next to me on my bed. Every day he would visit his original family, then return to my house. Now he visits his original family only occasionally. (There was some bad feeling between me and my relatives over Gino. LOL! Gino made his own decisions.) I am moving 11 hours South. I told my relatives that I am willing to take Gino with me. They had a family meeting to decide and said I could. Now I wonder if it's a good idea. I am so worried he will miss his first family and his territory. I am so worried he will get out of the house and try to make his way back north to his original home. But he loves me and my cats. I don't know what to do.
Thank you for your reply. Funny you mention heaven, because I have been known to call Gino "you little devil" He's a charmer.

MJO12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

MJO12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your comment. I had to laugh when you mentioned heaven, because I have been known to call Gino "you little devil." He gets away with a lot because of his charm and cheeky attitude.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The woman across he street from me had her himalayan Chestnut for 13 years. But her brother who lives with them is challenged and he has been known to "torment" Chestnut. Not on purpose of course since he is challenged. So the woman's daughter offered to take Chestnut to her home which is on the outskirts of the city on a small farm area. Last I spoke Chestnut is doing very well and now has 2 families. Of course this situation is a bit different as he's only 30 minutes away from my neighbor.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take him, you will save his life. His owners don't care enough to keep him inside, or try to find where he goes, so I'm guessing they don't take him to the vet either. Many unpleasant things can happen to him if you don't take him. You will spend every night thinking about each and every one of those unpleasant things and his current owners will never give it a thought. To my mind that makes you his, their permission makes him yours. they aren't allowed to mess with you by changing their minds at the last minute.

In fact I'd take him to the vet now for neutering and vaccinations.That way if they change their minds you can say, okay, here's the vet bill. If you want him, pay it.

MJO12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of your comments. It looks like Gino is going south. I have to defend my relatives. They do love Gino and took care of him. They have another cat and a pug, and I think Gino might prefer my cats to the company he gets at his old home. Gino decided to move in with me, and if only he could talk I could ask him if he wants to go south. Since he can't talk, I will make the decision and take him with me.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap: Thank you for clarifying that Gino is loved all the way around. In this situation, as far as his original home is concerned, true love means letting go. As I said earlier, sometimes it isn't a bad home, it's just that the chemistry or energy level isn't right - no different than in marriages or friendships or church families. :heartshape:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to add..... give your family credit. They have chosen what is best for gino, even though it will likely mean sadness for them. Many pet owners would not do that.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad tohear he will be going with you and that he was cared for by the family he left. Ask your family member to get a copy of his medical records or give you a letter to take to his vet so you can take the records with you.

I'd also suggest keeping everybody indoors for atleast a month after you move.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would bring him with you & keep him indoors. My cats are always trying to sneak outdoors, but I outsmart them. :D