Should i take the bell off my cat's flea collar?

smoky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like if she wants to hide from predators or if she wants to catch mice.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd throw the flea collar in the trash. They have been known to cause serious illness ( seizures, etc) & even death.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree,

I'd spend the extra money to get a prescription flea treatment - but I wouldn't even bother with that if my cat didn't go outside.

Flea Collars are nasty business.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you will find anyone here to disagree with the above statements...

Flea collars are dangerous. Just spend the few extra bucks a month and buy Advantage or Frontline from the vet. Flea collars and over the counter (ie. grocery store or Walmart) flea products and topical ointments are dangerous and can be deadly as well. I don't understand why they are still being sold when so many pets have died from them.

Plus, flea collars smell awful!

If you want, cut the flea collar into little pieces and put them in your vacuum and so if you pick up any fleas they will be killed!

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION THOUGH....
she will learn to hunt with a bell if you want her to hunt, I wouldn't worry about that. But remember she will hunt not only mice, but birds, baby bunnies, etc as well.

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a thought I had while reading this thread-

Does anyone else specifically not buy Hartz products like I do? I've heard nothing but horror stories about their stuff.

Besides hearing that they're toxic, it all just seems really cheaply made (like the toys) and ineffective.

Seems like people get up in arms about nearly every other brand (whether it's true or internet gossip), but I haven't seen anyone here mention Hartz.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to avoid any of Hartz products. Have for a long time. I think I've gotten one or two things (toys) that I didn't realize that Hartz made till later. But if I see "Hartz" I will not buy it!

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else: the flea collar is dangerous, and the bell would just drive your poor kitty nuts anyway. Imagine having to hear that thing every time you moved...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you want to keep a bell on your cat, get a quality break away collar for her. But your question poses another question in my mind: If you are using a flea collar to prevent fleas, which in turn can cause parasites like tapeworms, eating prey will also cause parasites.

And I agree with others: take off the flea collar and throw it away, or cut it up and put it in your vacuum bags if you want to find some use for it. They can make your cat seriously ill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smoky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My family says to me, if they are so dangerous why are they allowed to sell them at pet shops? Also they say the fleas will annoy her more than the flea collar.

I live in Australia also I dont know if that means we have more standards on pet toys and stuff.

What would you suggest I say to them to try to convince them to take it off?

I also told them it was mean to make her wear a bell. They said to me if the bell annoyed her you would be able to tell by her behaving differently.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have bells on my cats because I have a few escapes recently and I would have found them sooner if I had been able to hear a bell. Mine don't hunt and are indoor only.
Flea collars are the same everywhere. Bad news.
I don't buy Hartz anything because I think they are evil for making products known to kill and cause cancer.
Do some research, print it out and then show your parents. Besides they really aren't all that effective anyway.

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

I have bells on my cats because I have a few escapes recently and I would have found them sooner if I had been able to hear a bell. Mine don't hunt and are indoor only.
Flea collars are the same everywhere. Bad news.
I don't buy Hartz anything because I think they are evil for making products known to kill and cause cancer.
Do some research, print it out and then show your parents. Besides they really aren't all that effective anyway.
Agreed on all points- Albus has a bell on his collar because he likes to sneak up on you, then gets pissed when you accidentally step on his paw. Also, because he likes to sit by the front door when he hears us coming. If I was carrying a bunch of stuff and couldn't see him as I came in, he could easily slip out the door. I think it's a small price to pay.

I don't know why they still sell flea collars- same reason they still sell moth balls, even though they're horribly toxic (to humans and pets!)....I guess there's always a naive old lady out there willing to buy them.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
all of mine have bells on their collars... most of the time i never hear them!
unless they're running or wrestling or jumping. just walking, you'll never hear it - & that slow, prey stalk - the bell is worthless for preventing hunting.
good for hearing cats that
for the door, tho!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as the flea collar is concerned, I was always under the impression that all they do is keep the fleas away from the cats head and don't kill the fleas at all?. Not sure if that's true or not? I do know that like others have said they can be very dangerous.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by smoky

My family says to me, if they are so dangerous why are they allowed to sell them at pet shops? Also they say the fleas will annoy her more than the flea collar.

I live in Australia also I dont know if that means we have more standards on pet toys and stuff.

What would you suggest I say to them to try to convince them to take it off?

I also told them it was mean to make her wear a bell. They said to me if the bell annoyed her you would be able to tell by her behaving differently.
I have a simple question... who's cat is it? Your's or your parent's? If she's yours just take it off and do what you need to for the safety of your cat. If she is your parent's then I agree with printing off what info you can find on it for them to read. Oh, and there are LOTS of thing considered toxic that they continue to sell in stores... I guess the figure it's a necessary evil as it is a low cost "solution" in their eyes.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by smoky

My family says to me, if they are so dangerous why are they allowed to sell them at pet shops?
And if cigarettes can kill people, why do they still sell those over the counter? If people can make money off a product, that is all that matters some times.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

And if cigarettes can kill people, why do they still sell those over the counter? If people can make money off a product, that is all that matters some times.
Fantastic analogy! I was trying to think of one and couldn't... that's perfect.

thegreatbluecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
all of mine have bells on their collars... most of the time i never hear them!

unless they're running or wrestling or jumping. just walking, you'll never hear it - & that slow, prey stalk - the bell is worthless for preventing hunting.

good for hearing cats that

for the door, tho!
I know that this thread is really old but I just had to say that my cat, Cat, used to have a bell and man I could hear him coming from so far. He would be like probably quarter of a mile in the woods or so when I would call him and I could just hear that bell jingling.

thegreatbluecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And also I wonder if this person was able to convince their family of the evilness of the flea collar. I was just convinced thats for sure..