Should I take my cat home?

kkallo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! So I’m facing a problem. I will be out of town until this Friday and thought it would be easier to bring my cat to my mom’s house while I am gone since I live with him in a dorm currently. He used to live here, and he is in a separate finished basement so he doesn’t have to integrate with my mom’s other cat. He is fine when I’m down there with him, but if my mom comes he hisses and bats at her. He even growled and hid under the bed, which I have never seen him do.

My question is whether or not I should take him back to my dorm. He would get less human interaction but he would be back in his domain, so to speak. If he stayed here at my mom’s, he would get more interaction but he seems supremely distressed specifically around my mom. I’m conflicted because he did rub on her and let her pet him while I was there and after we had been sitting down there for a while to let him decide to come out. Would it be more beneficial for him to go back to my dorm and just have her visit to feed him? Or should he stay here and tough it out?

Sorry for any formatting issues, I’m on mobile.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though he isn’t particularly happy at your moms I think he is safest there and another transfer would be more stressful. Tell her to not get close to him or try to make friends. Just take care of his needs but otherwise let him be.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Can you leave some of your worn, unwashed clothing for him to be near while he is at your mom's? Also, take as many of his belongings as you can to your mom's - food/water dishes, litterbox, bedding, toys, etc. All of this will give him some familiar items to be around while he is there. If by chance it is the other cat's scent that he smells on your mom, you might ask her to at least wash her hands, and change clothes if it is not too much trouble. Does your cat enjoy music or TV? If so, is it possible to leave one of them on down in the basement to help calm him?

The dorm might have been better, but not knowing the set up, I would be worried if he got out somehow in your absence. Now that he is at your mom's already, probably should just leave him there. And, if your mom is willing, here is an article that maybe she could use some tips from just to help ease the tension between them a bit, even if his stay is only for less than a week.

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – Cat Articles