Should i start walking my cats?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty has been indoors all of her life. And Elsa is an ex street cat. She's a few years younger. Would i be able to train them to go for a walk? They are currently stuck in a very small bedroom 24/7 (its the only way i can keep them since i live in someone else's home. ) they are not used to being in such a small space. So i worry about them getting enough exercise.

I have two concerns. I don't want to go back to applying flea medicine on them because the risks always concerned me. And i don't want my room or my cats full of fleas.

Anyone have any advice?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Regarding walking them, start small, by acclimating them and ensuring harness fit etc in the room/house, especially with your former street kitty. This article may help;
Harness And Leash Training For Cats – TheCatSite Articles

I feel the same about fleas as well as the treatment. You might be more comfortable with this product from Only Natural Pet; Easy Defense flea and tick spray

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are harnessed trained and they honestly love it. They come running whenever I open the draw where the harnesses are kept. One thing to consider though is where you are walking them. Are there dogs? High traffic area? Try to walk somewhere secluded if you can. And of course, as already mentioned, start slow!

I'd be more worried about ticks than fleas, as some ticks can be deadly. But some form of preventative will be necessary, I believe.