should I start to wean my 3 week old kittens?

teholimau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
now, i know that you’re supposed to wean them at around 5 weeks... which is when their premolars emerge. My 3-week-old kittens however, already have premolars... they were born in my house so i’m pretty sure they’re 3 weeks. They are trying to eat their mama’s wet food (i pull them away) so, should i start them on wet food?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're eating her food, let them. That's the natural way for them to wean. If they eat more than a couple bites, offer them their own canned food, maybe mush it up a bit more than usual.

They'll keep nursing for several weeks; don't separate them from their mother until they're 12 weeks old or so even if they stop nursing. They learn their kitty lessons from her and will be much better pets if they stay with her long enough.

When they start eating solids, that means it's time for a litterbox too. Just offer a shallow pan with non-clumping litter (a cardboard can tray works well) and their mama will take care of the rest.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just reiterating that W Willowy is 100% correct.

Let them eat Moms food and provide more wet food if they are eating enough that Mom isn't able to get enough. You don't have to do anything to support weaning except ensure there is enough food for everyone. Some kittens switch quickly and early, some will continue to nurse for as long as Mom allows. There is not exact science or perfect formula to what is right.

A huge agreement on 12 weeks is the minimum to rehome, I'd do 16 weeks if possible. That 8-16 week period is a lot of behavior items. How to play with others, how to interact, basically how to cat 101. Without that time with Mom you can end up with bitey adult cats or other behavior problems that are avoidable if you just give them more time before rehoming.