Should I rehome kitten? Resident cat being aggressive

Hm93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a roughly 8 week old kitten just over 2 months ago. I did the introductions feeding at the other side of the door, supervised time etc. and although my resident 3 year old would sometimes play with the kitten on his terms he was still hissing and swatting him. My kitten then sustained an injury (unrelated to resident cat) and had to be on cage rest for 1 week. So I took that as an opportunity to do a reintroduction by feeding them at either side of the cage. Resident cat would still sometimes growl while eating. I've now taken the kitten out of the cage gradually for a few hours per day for the past few days but now their relationship is worse than ever. They still play together when my resident cat is in the mood, but if he is not in the mood and my kitten gets too close then he will aggressively growl, swat and corner the kitten at least 20-30 times per day. Although he isn't using his nails I'm just worried that this is going to escalate and cause the kitten a serious injury. The kitten however doesn't seem that bothered by it at all and is not acting scared but I do feel like his quality of life is suffering. I currently live in a large 3 bedroom apartment but I am going to be moving abroad to a small 1 bedroom apartment, and I can't imagine having to deal with this aggression and conflict in such a small space, plus it's a big ordeal to put them through by moving abroad. I absolutely love both of them and consider them to be my family members but I really do feel that the kitten's quality of life is suffering because of my resident cat's aggression so I wonder if it would be better for him to be rehomed before I start the process of moving in a few weeks. Any help/advice would be much appreciated

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You said everything you needed to say when you said, "He isn't using his nails," and "the kitten, however, doesn't seem that bothered." Your older male is just teaching the kitten boundaries. Sometimes it needs to be repeated...a LOT. So long as the kitten isn't cowering in fear, they are fine. Your resident cat is teaching this little upstart his place in the Grand Scheme of Things. It is natural, and actually healthy for them. He's taking over where mama cat left off. Don't worry about it unless the reprimands become outright attacks (and I'm about 99% certain they won't), or the kitten starts to be fearful, rather than respectful (hiding, cowering).

It is almost unheard of for an adult cat to seriously harm a kitten this age. Take some deep breaths, and give them a chance to work this out.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hm93 Hm93 : just seeing this now, but I agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , that things don't sound too bad between your older cat and kitten.

If you'd said the older cat was acting stressed and not eating, or that the kitten was scared of the older cat, that would be different. But the fact that they " still play together when my resident cat is in the mood" means the older cat doesn't hate his new feline buddy, and in time, once the kitten is older, they'll likely become best friends.

Oh, btw, these days the "recommended" age to adopt a kitten is a minimum of 12 weeks, that's so the kitten has plenty of time to learn cat manners from mama and its siblings. Of course that isn't always possible, so like Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 posted, in your case your older cat has taken on that role.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hm93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post, it really is much appreciated. I feel a bit better about the situation now and hopefully it will get better and not worse as the kitten gets older. I absolutely agree that 12 weeks onwards is the best age, but unfortunately we didn't have a choice as he was emaciated and ill living on the streets. Fingers crossed that they will be great friends in the future. Thank you all again

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Late to comment, but you've got the right of it now. Think of a crotchety old fashioned grandfather babysitting a five year old. "I told you not during Oprah you brat! Don't make me swat your bottom again!" Then after Oprah they play until grandpa gets tired.

Maybe a bit unusual to think of a 3 year old cat as a crotchety grandpa, but kittens can tire anyone, and it sounds like thats what is going on.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And, since he was a street kitten, we don't know how long he had with siblings and mama. Your older cat is just teaching him some manners, and he knows that. LOL, he might not remember those manners for long at a time, but he does know what's happening, and it feels natural to him.