Should I put a break away collar on my feral

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had my bell a for 4 years now. He has lived on my deck for 4 years. We take good care of him. Every morning he waits for me when I open the door. I am starting to think if I should try a break away collar for him.I can't have him in the house because of my indoor cat Gwen. And bell does not want to come in.

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the exact same situation I am in with my kitty Lucky. I have a breakaway collar and a tag with my phone number on it on Lucky, and it doesn't seem to bother him. The tag is a red heart and I think of it as a symbol of my love for him, hehe. It just gives me peace of mind that if anything should happen to him, people would be able to find my phone number and call me. I only have a collar on Lucky, because my other ferals won't come anywhere near me. So I think a breakaway collar would be a good idea for Bell. :D

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't put a collar on a feral cat.... Especially one with a tag. This will not allow them to hunt successfully. I think Bell is just fine without a collar on. My ferals are all microchipped only so that IF someone traps them to try to do away with them, we will be called and the cat will be turned back to it's original colony. Anyway, no, I would never put a collar on an outdoor cat. :nod:;)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tatoo in the ear is another option. This way it will be immediately seen he is owned and soon traced down by whom.

Tatoo is no big deal for a vet, althoug that must be done when in sleep.

preciouspaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I put breakaways on 9 ferals and they did, they broke away.............I had purple colars everywhere! Good lick with what you decide. These guys are a lot of work, but worth it.

susan smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Save your money,  did the same thing had to go find them all. They own you. You don't own them... 

cannegardner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put one on my Moon kitten. That was before he came inside full time. He didn't like anything dangling on it though, so I found easy to put on aluminum bands at Fosters and Smith. He did lose one, but it took him six months. They will lose them, but the small cost was worth the piece of mind. Now he is inside full time and only wears his collar when he's outside with us on the weekends. He came in on his own gradually. My other ferals, well, I can't get close enough to them to put a collar on them. Good luck. We have about 6 ferals, two regulars, and Moon was the only one who wanted to "be" with us, so we transitioned him inside over the course of several months ( we started last August) but we'd been working with him for 5 years before that. He's been in full time since February.