Should I move my 10y/o cat with me?

leckleckchloe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a siamese mix that is turning ten this year. I have had her since she was a kitten and have always been her person. She would spend most of her time in my room with me or wherever I am. The only other person she sleeps on or even hangs out with is my dad (I am from a family of 5). Even then, she only hangs out with him if I'm not home.
I recently moved 4 hours away to attend college and got a studio apartment that accepts cats to bring her with me. I don't plan on moving back home. Now that I am settled, I'm not sure if she would be happy if I brought her here since it is so different from what she is used to. My parents have another cat who is her brother from the same litter and a 5 y/o dog. She was never close to them and never played with them, so I wasn't worried about her missing them although she is used to them being around. My parents, however, live in a pretty secluded area with plenty of nature around. She would occasionally walk around outside (supervised) and never tried to go far without anyone but she enjoyed it. I now live in a city, and I feel like it would be too drastic of a change for her, especially at her age. I have a steady source of income and would have absolutely no problems taking care of her. I am really just worried this might be too stressful of a situation for her, and am asking for some genuine advice!! Please help

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In your position I would leave her at your parents where everything and everyone is familiar. It sounds like she has a lot of company at the moment even if she chooses not to mix. The change of lifestyle is very different from the life she knows and would possibly be too much to adapt to.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I would lave her too, but check up on her and see how she is doing. If she really misses you to the point of behavioral changes, like not eating, meowing, searching for you, give it a week or two to see if she adapts, and if she doesn't, THEN bring her to your new apartment. She WILL be stressed, any cat would, but with you there she should adapt. Cats take about two weeks to adjust to having their babies gone, so it may take her that long. Cats live very happily in apartments, but like you said she is older and may be really set in her ways.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree. See if she is adjusting well to you not there and if not, then bring her.

She's likely to be quite lonely if she is suddenly without many people and into a new quiet environment.

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Personally I think she will have a much easier time adjusting to you not being home than adjusting to a totally new environment and being alone all the time.

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would disagree with the other replies - bring her, see if she adapts, and if she doesn’t then send her back to the home she’s familiar with.

If she is not close with the other animals in your parents’ house, and you are her person, then she might prefer to be with you. She might even enjoy a more relaxed lifestyle with no competition for the food bowls.

Give her a chance to tell you what she prefers. Bring her with you, but be ready to send her back after a month if she’s not happy/not adjusting to life with you. But give her a chance because she might be happier with you and you’ll never know unless you let her try.

Does she like to sleep in your bed at night? If you were to close your bedroom door at night, would she cry outside it and reach her paws under the door? During the day when you are awake, does she tend to sleep with/near you instead of with the other animals? If the answer to any of those questions is “yes” then I think she’s given you a pretty strong reason to try bringing her with you.

Last edited:

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would leave her where she is. In addition to the stress of moving her somewhere new, you are in college now. You don't know how much you will be home, what your schedule will be, etc.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also offer a dissenting opinion. Cats can adapt to new environments. But she's going to miss you if you leave her behind. Cats have their people and it sounds like your Dad is a poor substitute in this cat's opinion. I've moved cats before. They adjust pretty quickly. I wouldn't worry about the loss of company. She's going to sleep most of the day anyway. For the rest, you can get her "cat TV": a perch or tree by a window. You can take her on leash and harness or stroller walks maybe a few months after she's moved in to let her settle to the new environment and routines first.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I now live in a city, and I feel like it would be too drastic of a change for her, especially at her age.
Hi! I'm on the fence :)

You're right, the noise and smells of the city, plus of the other pets in the apartment complex, will be a huge change. (Will your family be able to ensure she continues to be allowed outside with supervision? Maybe have a Catio built so she's safe when outside?)

As mentioned, she'll likely just sleep while you're gone but you'll need to be sure to play with her or find a way to take her for walks so she gets exercise.

Cat Music and calming products could help with the adjustment.

If you do bring her, find a cat-only veterinarian.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leckleckchloe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she like to sleep in your bed at night? If you were to close your bedroom door at night, would she cry outside it and reach her paws under the door? During the day when you are awake, does she tend to sleep with/near you instead of with the other animals? If the answer to any of those questions is “yes” then I think she’s given you a pretty strong reason to try bringing her with you.
The answer to all of these questions would be yes. :(

She does have a reserved and laid-back personality so I do think you make a point when you say she might enjoy a more relaxing lifestyle. :) Thank you for your opinion! I think I will give it a try, and if it doesn't work out she can always go back home as you said.

alphakitty

Beeqie - Sly Kitty - 2017
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a siamese mix that is turning ten this year. I have had her since she was a kitten and have always been her person. She would spend most of her time in my room with me or wherever I am. The only other person she sleeps on or even hangs out with is my dad (I am from a family of 5). Even then, she only hangs out with him if I'm not home.
I recently moved 4 hours away to attend college and got a studio apartment that accepts cats to bring her with me. I don't plan on moving back home. Now that I am settled, I'm not sure if she would be happy if I brought her here since it is so different from what she is used to. My parents have another cat who is her brother from the same litter and a 5 y/o dog. She was never close to them and never played with them, so I wasn't worried about her missing them although she is used to them being around. My parents, however, live in a pretty secluded area with plenty of nature around. She would occasionally walk around outside (supervised) and never tried to go far without anyone but she enjoyed it. I now live in a city, and I feel like it would be too drastic of a change for her, especially at her age. I have a steady source of income and would have absolutely no problems taking care of her. I am really just worried this might be too stressful of a situation for her, and am asking for some genuine advice!! Please help
This is is tough one..but I believe the kitty will be happier with your Dad and the other kitty. I know it hurts, but it is likely the best choice. It is very good of you to consider the feelings of your beloved kitty.

Kind Regards,

Alplha Kitty
4 indoor/outdoor short hair black & 1 brendle kitty
3 outdoor only community black kitties
All TNR'd by me

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved with my cats from a reasonably spacious granny flat in the country to a tiny bedsit in the city just under two years ago. Both are indoor cats, Phoebe is 8 and Daisy 5. I wish they had more room but they have both adapted very well. I am their human. I’d had Phoebe for five years or so before this latest move, and Daisy only about a month. Daisy struggled a bit at first, not because of the limitations but because she didn’t like it at all when I had to leave the unit to get my mother up or put her to bed (I am her carer, she’s in the next unit along). Daisy would howl when I left her, even though she still had Phoebe with her. In the last year or so she has calmed down and only makes the occasional complaint about me not being there. I am home all the time except for a couple of hours a couple of times a week, and they are very much underfoot - or on top of me, or beside me. It’s my presence, not the place, that matters more.

All of that is to say, I’d probably go with taking her with you, but talk to your parents if you haven’t already.