Should I Let My Indoor Cat, Outside?

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree - I tried to go to the shelters but because I wanted indoor cats (I couldn't live with myself if a cat I owned got killed outside) they weren't happy. But its worked out for the best as if Poppy had been an outside cat and gone blind, chances are she wouldn't have survived x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know, I had a hassle over the "indoor only cat" argument too. I only got Kali as an indoor because of her allergies but they're very pro-outside cats and tend to look down on folk asking for indoor only, to the point they won't rehome unless there's a reason for the cat not being allowed out - ie blind/allergies to bites etc
It's odd imo.. x

mac n tosh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want to say that I have 2 cats and I have had other cats before. They died young, 4 years old... outside. I let these two go out because I do feel there is a different quality of life when they are outside and in but there is a MUCH higher risk. I call them back with a cow bell system. They come right away. My cats even have outside cat friends. We started with a leash and they can slip out of them if properly motivated. Be wary. In the beginning, after we removed the leash and when they didn't return immediately, I would look for them for hours and it was very stressful. Even now if they don't come back right away I still look for them, but this is a choice my husband and I made together.

If your cat is allergic and possibly easily startled keep her in. She can have a great, full, quality life inside with toys and other stimuli. I agree with everyone who said that. I personally think you should keep her in. If you decide to introduce a friend for her, which I do recommend, she will adapt, eventually. I found my cats are happier because they have each other and us as a family. I have 2 grown daughters In college who live at home as well. My cats are litter mates so they have always been together. I adopted them when they were 10 weeks old.

It seems to me that you are a very loving pet owner so whatever you decide will be in her best interest. Don't worry so much. If you're happy she will be too.