Should I let a rescued stray cat outside?

shanticat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've had our cat Shanty for 5 months. Our other cat, a male, goes outside, but Shanty doesn't. She's still pretty wild and as a calico, but has made quite a lot of progress. She now goes all over the house and isn't that intimidated by the other cat. She still won't let me brush her or pick her up. It would probably be a bad idea to let her outside, but I observe how she reacts to what she sees going on outside and feel badly for her. As a former stray cat, she is pretty anti-social, so I guess she could very likely run away if I let her out in the backyard. Will a taste of freedom completely go to this cat's head and make her run away and not come back?

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most likely. I wouldn't let her go outside if I were you. That is if you want her to come back. Anyway I think its best not to let any cat go outside. I use to allow my cats to be inside and outside but about 6 years ago I stopped letting my new cats go outside because its just too dangerous out there!

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she's not clawing at the door she's probably content to stay inside. I would keep her in. I have one cat that wants to go out and one that is fine inside. My indoor only kitty looks outside a lot but I wouldn't let her out there. One going out even for a short time is very stressful. There's just too many things that can go wrong.

Good for you for giving a stray kitty a home.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't let any of my kitties outside. I have 2 former outside cats and they are very content inside, not to mention much safer.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. I think she should stay inside too. The outside poses such huge risks to cats, and shortens their life span. Not only can they get into fights and contract feline aids, but they can get killed by cars, mean people, get into poisons, attacked by dogs etc.

You cared enough about this kitty to rescue her 5 months ago. Please keep her inside where it is safe.