Should I keep 3 kittens I love? Need advice badly.

crackerjack4u

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you decided to keep them.  It's a decision I'm sure you will never regret making.  As far as the family saying what they did, only a true animal lover who truly appreciates what an animal has to offer us could understand why you'd keep them. 

My husband and I are both disabled, plus we both suffer from severe depression, and he is going blind from his diabetes.  We have 5 dogs, and 3 cats, (one is very recent purchase from one of my neighbors which my hubby cried about, and said he's worth every penny). I have a post on the Feral, Caring for Strays, Forum called "How to get a feral cat to warm up to a new cat" that tells the story about how the purchase came about and why it was necessary to start with, etc., if you're interested in reading it. 

The thing is they (Every one of them) are the only reasons that we get out of the bed some mornings.  To us they are our service animals.  No, they don't have the little service vests, or any of the fancy things that the "official" service animals have, but they provide such a huge service to us, offer us so much unconditional love, and make our lives so much happier.  When my husband and I talk to each other the conversation usually goes like, "You'll never guess what that silly cat did this morning," or "You've got to come here and look at "name of whichever one is doing something silly at the time" he's in here slapping the dogs tail around like a ping pong ball, etc.  Only a true animal lover could understand where we are coming from, and why we have the animals we have when we hurt so badly that it's difficult to walk most days.  I wouldn't trade, a single one for anything because without our fur babies life is just not a happy life. 

So yes, congratulations on your 3 new additions to your family, and it's a decision I'm sure you'll never regret.             

Last edited:

eothecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree and say keep them.  It is very difficult to be sad or depressed over giving them away while trying to look for a job.  Caring for them makes you happy and those endorphins from being happy will help you land the best job possible.  Good luck in your endeavors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

themomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on Keke, Handsome, Punkin and Mookie.

Thank you crackerjack and eothecat.  I appreciate your kind words.

It has been several weeks since my first post so here is an update to keeping the 3 kittens I love. Money, Money, Money.

My job search is delayed because I just found out I have a spinal compression fracture which has been causing me terrible back pain (The reason I lost my cleaning job).  Again, I was faced with the thoughts of not being able to afford my babies.  And again I considered giving them up (briefly).  I'm not destitute but running low on money and we have been dealing with fleas so the cost of 2 packages of 3 pipettes of Frontline Plus (which did not work) $85.00,  Pet Amour flea spray (For under sofa, around base boards etc) $16.00, a 4 lbs bag of food grade DE (brushed into carpets for 24 hours before vacuuming, don't think it did much good) $17.00 and now 12 Capstar pills (Yay a day without fleas!) $52.00.

$170.00 so far and still fighting fleas.

Then I get the letter from the SPCA "low cost" spay and neuter confirming their appointments. Yes it is only $65.00 each for the girls and $55 for Handsome. but that does not include the post blood work and other required things so the total cost is.

Keke & Punkin-  $120.00 each = $240

Handsome -  $ 105.00

Total = $345.00

Why they didn't just say that in the first place is beyond me.  I was worried about the $185.00 I thought it was going to be.  Then they have to get the rabies shots??? at $11.00 each and FVRCP shots at $42.00 each Total = $152.00

Total Estimated Vet = $498.00

So I called them and said I just can't afford that much right now, I'm unemployed and single and don't have anyone to help me. They basically asked me why I was keeping 3 kittens when I can't afford the "low cost" of $498.00.  I explained that I was just going through a rough patch but they seemed disgusted with me and gave me a list of organizations that might be able to help.  I will start calling tomorrow but the kittens are going on 6 months so I need to get this done now.

In the meantime, I love them more and more each day.  crackerjack, you are correct about the depression and stress and how much joy these babies give me.  They keep me on my toes and make me get up even though it's difficult.

crackerjack4u

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Themomcat I'm glad to hear that they are still with you, and hopefully you can find someone to help get them fixed, etc.. I'm so sorry that the SPCA was like that towards you, they should have been more helpful, and understanding that bad things happen to good people sometimes.  You are doing your best to ensure your babies are taken care of, and are attempting to get them fixed etc. which is a heck of a lot more than some people do.  We have a Vet's office in our town that every year in October they do rabies shots for $5.00.  I'm not sure if you have any in your town that does it, but it's worth checking in to.  I'm sorry to hear about your back problems, but can certainly relate.  Hopefully they'll get your back fixed up where you are not in so much pain, and are able to go back to work in the near future.  Keep your chin up, things have a way of working themselves out.  Best of Luck, and Prayers for a speedy recovery.  Enjoy those babies, and have a wonderful night!!!       

simonschuster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had 2 cats and found 3 kittens in my grill cabinet in June. I was planning on keeping just one, but could not pick nor separate them! I was SO nervous about keeping them all and having 5 cats. I used a low cost clinic for their spay/neuter and vaccinations that was far less than the prices you mentioned. Is there anywhere else besides the SPCA in your town? Could you take one at a time? I did my boy first because he was slightly cheaper and then took my two girls a month later when I had been able to save some money. My regular vet gave me a discount for two at one visit when I had to take two in for illness. Food has been my biggest expense, but it always works out. I cannot imagine not having all my babies in my home and heart. Good luck to you!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a thought about making some money.  Do you have one of those taxi-cab like organizations in your area?  You sign up with them and then get some kind of app for your phone.  Then they notify you of customers who want a lift to the airport or all over town.  I don't think I could say the name of those businesses but I think you've probably heard of them.  That'd be a way to get some more income.  Also, are you crafty?  Maybe you could sell some of your crafts on some of these craft websites.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

themomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update 10/7/2016

I found a low cost spay and neuter clinic that was very understanding and kind.  Got Keke and Punkin spayed and Handsome neutered and vaccinations for only $155.00.  I needed separate carriers for each of them. I already had a travel carrier for Mookie and found 2 nylon carriers for cheap on ebay. $14.00 each with free shipping that got here just in time!

Took them in at 8:30 this morning and picked them back up at 1:30.  They are all doing very well.  Acting like nothing had happened.  I gave them a little food and they ate it right up.  Waited an hour and fed them more and they gobbled it like they were starved.

I made up the bathroom with beds and litter boxes and stayed in there with them for awhile and silly butts were jumping on the counter, in the tub and up on the shelves!  So much for that idea.  I have them in the living room with me now.  Punkin and Keke  are resting but Handsome wants to jump and play.  Having a hard time keeping him from jumping.  I have a medium sized kennel that I put him in to hopefully settle him down but he just starting climbing the wire walls.  He is being impossible.

But they are all fixed and vaccinated   And mine forever

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!! What an amazing update [emoji]128522[/emoji] Job well done! I'm so glad you were able to connect with a group to do the spay/neuter/vaccinations for a very reasonable fee. There are good, compassionate people out there unfortunately, you sometimes have to wade through the others first!
You must feel so good to have this all done and have everyone back home...where they belong and will STAY [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

crackerjack4u

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is wonderful news, and about made me cry because I know what a difficult time you've had trying to get them fixed, etc.  I am so happy for you and your 3 precious kitties. Now you also know of a low price clinic you can take them to for their boosters also.  All this falling into place confirms that those babies were meant to stay with you forever, and no matter how bad things appear to get sometimes, things always seem to have a way of working themselves out.  Enjoy YOUR sweet babies, and have a Blessed Night!!!